048 air filter question

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. The air filter on my 048 is dirty. I was going to blow it out with the air compressor, but with the replacement cost around $50 I figured I'd check with you guys first before I ruin it. It looks like it is kind of fuzzy material on my saw instead of a metal mesh. Any tips? I've read about using purple power or soap and water to clean it, then blow it out with air.

Here's a photo of the style, not my actual filter.

Thanks in advance!

[URL=http://s374.photobucket.com/user/flashover604/media/4C5CB069-189C-4336-A9B1-291533677EB9.png.html] [/URL]

Is it only a gauze fabric or is it over a screen? I just washed my old Echo 3400 with Dawn. It is a thick material that had a lot of oil on it. Cleaned up nice.

I just let it air dry. If it just saw dust brushing it off and tapping the edge of the filter on something gets most of it off. Be careful with air. Too much pressure or too close with air gun can do damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure. It's so cruddy from the previous owner I can't tell if there's mesh under it or not. I may soak it in a Dawn/Water mix and gently brush the crud off of it. I just didn't want to soak a paper filter in water!

You'll be okay,just take the filter halves apart first .That's a screen filter .Filters came in either screen or flocked .Parts for an 042 and 048 are kind of tough to find these days .

You can still get them at dealers here so I think its no different in US.
They are sold as two parts so you need both inside and outside part.
There is several different, but paper and nylon is most common I think.
Actually there is a couple different nylons... Flocked is metal net with fiber on it and I don't think I have seen that.

Its more like a paper filter than flocked if it look like this:
54eff431c90aa_351215b.jpg

I cleaned it in warm water and dish soap. It was a flocked nylon over steel mesh. Cleaned up pretty nicely.

I assume this is what is meant by "flocked". It has a steel mesh with velvety feeling material over it. I am guessing nylon.

To confuse a bit more there is paper flocked filters as well, not that common and don't work very well.
Sabe design with mesh etc, but paper instead of nylon flock.

Back