The Shortest Way To The Cemetery

Typical white birch (I'm assuming), those things really like to rot. Sketchy tree, nice work!
I'm more on the poplar side, limb's shape, gray bark... but that rots nearly as well.
What makes me really cringe is the side loading with the zipline, not a comfy idea on a rotten tree.

I defer to you guys whether Birch or Poplar. Our White Birch sometimes gets darkish bark too from what must be a fungus among us from all the wet.

I would have said it was a Silver birch or an Aspen.

Mushy tree either way. What killed it? Possible disturbance with the roots?

Edit: looks Poplar on second glance.

Wow.

Seems like you are doing the best with what you have for gear. A break-away point for your saw lanyard is important.

Are you using the grigri as a lowering device, or just to tension the speedline? I would avoid both. The shock-loading of a locked off line increases the side-load on a tree with bad structure. A hand-held speedline would be more shock-absorbing.

I've wondered about it a bit... could it still kick back if the nose is in the clear????

If the tree sits on a hard pushing-chain (top of bar) it can cause the 'push-back' reactive force, moving the saw toward the rear. This can get the tip of the bar back into the trunk.

I'll push stuff all day long, as long as I'm slow at the end, and know I can push it off, And have a Plan B if something goes wrong.

Bermy, in your case, everything weighs proportionally a lot more, and your leverage due to your reach to push is a significantly less.

I think its a matter of take each operation for the reality that it is, not what is could be/ you want it to be/ how it was every other time. Good work positioning, good judgment, good margin of error matched with the consequences, and work safely. When in doubt, don't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow.

Seems like you are doing the best with what you have for gear. A break-away point for your saw lanyard is important.

Are you using the grigri as a lowering device, or just to tension the speedline? I would avoid both. The shock-loading of a locked off line increases the side-load on a tree with bad structure. A hand-held speedline would be more shock-absorbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris E View Post
I've wondered about it a bit... could it still kick back if the nose is in the clear????
If the tree sits on a hard pushing-chain (top of bar) it can cause the 'push-back' reactive force, moving the saw toward the rear. This can get the tip of the bar back into the trunk.

I'll push stuff all day long, as long as I'm slow at the end, and know I can push it off, And have a Plan B if something goes wrong.

Bermy, in your case, everything weighs proportionally a lot more, and your leverage due to your reach to push is a significantly less.

I think its a matter of take each operation for the reality that it is, not what is could be/ you want it to be/ how it was every other time. Good work positioning, good judgment, good margin of error matched with the consequences, and work safely. When in doubt, don't.

If I were a girl I would not sleep with you. Even if you were the last man on the Planet.... because you are so boring....

Well if Max and this guy are any indication, Russians are a ______ bunch. Fill in the blank.

Sean's a super cool guy and kinda handsome too. You know how the Russians get worked up over that.

Russian. I think you should post up your handsomest picture and Sean you should too. And then I will decide who the last girl on earth will sleep with.

These Russians are a blast on here and the translation makes it even funnier :lol:

64677562.jpg

Sean's a super cool guy and kinda handsome too. You know how the Russians get worked up over that.

Russian. I think you should post up your handsomest picture and Sean you should too. And then I will decide who the last girl on earth will sleep with.

you're a very dirty boy, squisher. I used to think that loggers are not interested handsome boys...But I will let you think about me at night, if it makes you happy. o0V5Vf8SZPA.jpg

These Russians are a blast on here and the translation makes it even funnier :lol:
when I was a kid on Communist lessons at school, we had to clean AK47 and listened to a lecture about the fact that almost every American uses drugs. Just say you had other associations with the name of the kitten, except for the drug dealer

Back