Stihl 064 066 service manual?

Pauluza33

Treehouser
Can somebody please help? I'm looking for a shop manual for the 064 and 066 saw. I bought a saw a while back and there is no identification plate on top. I have taken the saw down to the Stihl dealer and service. We tried running the serial number and they came up with nothing. They think it is an 066 but aren't completely sure. I need to do some work on the saw and need parts identification. The only service manual I can find has a virus attached to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask Stihl for it.

I would help with IPL, but last I had Stihl Documents in public Stihl USA wanted to drag me to court (Not Stihl Germany or Stihl Sweden I might add)...
Send me a Email or PM with your Email address I reply with it.

You could simply measure bore you find out if it is 064 or 066.
Out with muffler and measure from exoust post.
Cylinder number could perhaps help as well.

You could simply measure bore you find out if it is 064 or 066.
That's not enough, as a 066 piston-cylinder can be mounted on a 064 body, like mine (the guy played with the ignition too and I got a mess to sort it out).
The body is a little wider on the 066 to accept the bigger fans on the flywheel (top cover and starter carter). The ignition coil and the setting (the mounting holes and the key-ways) are different too.

The IPL's didn't help much for me to identify the old parts with their numbers because they show the new replacement parts and not the original ones. Unless you can get the old IPL's from the manufacturing year I guess.
I bet Magnus has a truck load of those invaluable documentations.

That's not enough, as a 066 piston-cylinder can be mounted on a 064 body, like mine (the guy played with the ignition too and I got a mess to sort it out).
The body is a little wider on the 066 to accept the bigger fans on the flywheel (top cover and starter carter). The ignition coil and the setting (the mounting holes and the key-ways) are different too.

The IPL's didn't help much for me to identify the old parts with their numbers because they show the new replacement parts and not the original ones. Unless you can get the old IPL's from the manufacturing year I guess.
I bet Magnus has a truck load of those invaluable documentations.
Yes, I do have a some paper literature on these, not so much scanned. Not much Stihl saws from this period in time here as Husqvarna, Jonsered and Partner dominated market at the time here. I do get to see a couple now and then..
Either way it is good to know condition and bore. It tells a lot. You see instantly if you need to look further. If it is 52mm its 064 size, 54mm its 066 size.
There is a 56mm kit as well I put that on my 064 to see how it worked and it was not bad at all. I was worried carb could not handle it, but it works ok.
Quality and performance vary a lot in aftermarket parts.

Size and number on cases on the new stuff is from 640/650/660 I think. No need to make up new parts for a old series saw.
064 and 066 used same case.

Back