More crazy Russian video

I suppose pre-climb tree inspection/ evaluation is critical.

Doing something ridiculously dangerous doesn't become safer over time...Russian Roulette.

Climb safely. Cut safely.

I think it's better to know a few prayers well to be able to remember them quickly while something happens. Yes, thick skull is enough to protect a brain. You can lose some skin on your head, but you can use a cap.

Kkd57l3.gif

Here is a story. While teaching new workers on a plant, a foreman explains why it is necessary to use helmet:
-One little girl came on the plant without helmet. Something fell on her head and she died. And another girl used helmet. When something fell on her head she simply smiled and went away.
-And what is she doing now?
-Oh, she is still keep smiling.

Treemonkey,

I don't understand your meaning. The story seems to point to being safer through properly assessing the risks and mitigating/ fighting those risks.

Your plan of a prayer, is the opposite.

As I said, be safe.

I was almost impaled in the face by a broken redwood branch stub once. I hadn't pruned it off, yet. Not an important story...my employee was fired after that.

Too many people have fallen out of trees from cutting their one rope/ Tie-in point.

All of those stubs in your avatar are very unnecessary dangers, easily avoided with a choking climbing-rope system, with gear that you already should have. A prussic on a choked climbing-rope will provide fall-arrest, even if it won't allow you to descend/ rappel.

You mean that yellow saw? No, it's a noname saw for 50$. I had to finish quickly one big job once while my another big saw was being repared. I bought this saw and it worked for 3 years very good. It's quiet heavy and use a lot of fuel.

Little pines, small pines...

I'll never fall from cutting my lanyard. :drink:

Attachments

• elm tree 079- trimmed.jpg
    elm tree 079- trimmed.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 31
  • here goes nuttin'.JPG
    here goes nuttin'.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 32
Don't get me wrong - I did it like that for years many years ago.

Then I got tired of pushing my luck.

One is none, two is one. :drink:

Right on, tree monkey, don't get offended, these guys are looking out for you and they know what they're on about.

I like your signature!:thumbup:

OK, OK, I use it sometimes. When it is really necessary. But it seems to me that a single tie is not the main danger here. For all those 16years that I saw trees I have never met any cases of cutting a tie in Russia. Here, in Kazan, there were 5 incidents. 1.I fell down together with an old tree. Heavy injured, sill alive. 2. One guy fell down because of using the old safety system, which crashed. Heavy injured, still alive. 3. Another guy died on the ground because of falling on the low sharp fence under all those branches, he sawed before. 4. A guy fell down with an old tree. Nearly died, can't walk now. 5. A guy fell down with a tree, a tree fell on him. His bowels jumped from his mouth after that, so he is dead too.
No one fell down because of sawed tie. Everybody talk about it, but none falls. This danger is obvious, so it is not a big danger. JZbbwAyeDg0.jpg 9o2wpAV5u_M.jpg IMG_20160323_121916.jpg

Master blaster, you didn't use good clothes, your arms are not protected on this photos, especially using a powerful saw ;). Oh, I forgot about another guy, that sawed something on his body not long ago.

:), hm. It's strange. Sometimes, when it's very hot in summer, I tried to work in T-shirt with short sleeves, but this resulted a lot of small abrasions on my arms. So I work in a shirt with long sleeves.

Most of the time I wear a long sleeve wicking tee to protect myself from poison ivy and minor abrasions.

Attachments

• pecan top 012.jpg
    pecan top 012.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 20
A climbing rope, and a work-positioning lanyard work together for better stability, as well as safety of a rope/ Tie-in point failure, from whatever cause.

Plus you don't have to down climb on your spikes if you don't want to :)

Call me lazy, but I sit around at work as much as possible. So much easier on the body. Standing in spurs all the time is for spar-work. With an overhead climb-line, I sit if I'm not moving, primarily working on conifers, but also in hardwoods.

When I was a new climber I stood in my spurs all the time, advancing my climb-line below my work-positioning lanyard.

I think my knees and hips thank me for it.

Back