Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas damage to saw

TreeHouser

Default Gas damage to saw

As I understand it current pump gas with ethanol will deteriorate plastic fuel lines in power tools and you should purge them when they're going to be stored. But what about tools that are used constantly and constantly have fuel in the lines? If they're constantly exposed to ethanol are they doomed to have rotted lines eventually?

TreeHouser

Most newer tools can tolerate ethanol fuels. I am fortunate that I can buy ethanol free gas and I always use 92/93 octane.
    I don't know about special formed fuel lines but "tygon" fuel lines are available.
    I believe Marine StaBil is supposed to neutralize ethanol in gasoline, but I have no experience.

unsanitized

Viton might be good for ethanol. It holds up great with 100% biodiesel, pricey but ya get what ya pay fer.
    Molon Pepe

Bamboo Plantation Owner Sponsor Tucker943's Avatar

My regularly run saws have never had ethanol damage.

Higher octanes up here are ethanol free. IME ethanol just gummed up carbs.
    Peter

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

I go to NAPA and get a lot of parts. Rubber parts such as vacuum caps, fuel lines, diaphragms and such.

Guy behind the counter always blames it on ethanol.

Funny thing is that my old junk has never seen any ethanol.
    Is this not a reasonable place to park?

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

Jim Conrad

I think it depends on the compounds. I've seen a few fuel lines just literally disintegrate in homeowner saws. No problems with with the pro stuff so far. . .

I'm pulling a Stig though, and have just been running Alkylate in my personal stuff. No probs there either. . .
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

Gas is different in different areas. Ethanol is not the culpit in this drama, it is all other crap they have in it.
    I talked to a guy that set up 5 new saws to run E-85 with recin oil as lubricant.
    They ran them in forestry a year, pulled them down and documented everything. It was a years test, would be fun to see what happen in a longer test.

Here is a HVA fuel hose from a 266 I put in for a customer. It lasted less than a month in the saw. I doubt he ran 10 tanks of fuel in this time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3810.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	74410
    The hose melted and in bottom of tank was two lumps of rubber with the filter. In carbs filters there was lumps of rubber as well.

We have really crappy fuel here compared to most others it seems. Why I am not sure but they say it is enviormentally correct.

Almost everyone here run Aspen fuel as this is what the manufacturers wanted us to run since early 90's.
    With this there is very little fuel related issues. Now there is everal other brands of Alkylate fuels around.

A word of caution when you tinker with fuels and test different fuels and oils. Some don't do well together and can actually cause damage.
    Some oils don't like some fuels and others eat up all crap inside engine left by some fuel mixes.
    This can cause damages.

TreeHouser

In todays world, we have two major problems. One is the ethanol and the other is inferior rubber quality. They sometimes don't work well together.
    If I had to use ethanol I would always store the chainsaw dry or completely full. Alcohol absorbs moisture and that causes carburetor corrosion. More air more moisture.