crazy Russian tree cutting

MB, why were you cutting a face in that cemetery tree, given you were going to pick the stem?

A very good question and no one has ever (which surprised me) asked that before. If I saw that pic, I'd have asked the same question.

If you look closely at the angle of the crane line, you'll see how it's a tad off-center.

Because of the tight quarters and the size of the log, I wanted to make it lean in a bit so the lift would be dead-on.

That's exactly what happened. As I made my backcut, I allowed it to gently hinge into the underbed, then when it was directly under the load, I signaled 'winch up' and finished the cut.

It lifted up perfect, no swing whatsoever.

That was the first and only time I ever did anything like that.

tHSxndK.gif

Good clarification, MB. I know a crane op that when cutting a top and there are branches and or boom position that will give an uncertain balance and or twist, he will tell you to make cuts opening up from all sides like sharpening a pencil. Sitting on that point, the top will move how it wants to and gives a perspective on things before completing the cut, which side to nip in from to finish. Time consuming, but can be helpful now and then. Good for people too that are learning the work and get their saw stuck. An open face all around prevents that, or makes for easily remedying by the op.

Good clarification, MB. I know a crane op that when cutting a top and there are branches and or boom position that will give an uncertain balance and or twist, he will tell you to make cuts opening up from all sides like sharpening a pencil. Sitting on that point, the top will move how it wants to and gives a perspective on things before completing the cut, which side to nip in from to finish. Time consuming, but can be helpful now and then. Good for people too that are learning the work and get their saw stuck. An open face all around prevents that, or makes for easily remedying by the op.
Have you seen Mark Chisholm's vee cut? Pretty simple and slick...

Mark knows his stuff up down and forward.

I have never done a crane job, in all probability never will, in my ignorance that looks like a really good idea (the v cut thing)

Why is it a waste of effort?

Mick

Assuming its in anticipation of movement upon release. But at some point, you have to release it with a saw, because such is the style of that cut that it doesn't allow for any movement unlike a hinge or tear cut....either one of which allow the whole pic to re-orientate itself while holding at the butt when done right. Thereafter you release.....like Butch described in the graveyard shot. Heres a tear cut pic below, no bother. Now imagine a V cut in this scenario. Cranework is about knowing about going to happen next. If you don't know, then you need to rethink. That V cut says to me 'I don't know what to expect here'. Marks a cool guy and knows his stuff, undoubtedly.....but I'm not buying the V cut.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bi2gHY_DKYk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well that was massive. Ah those were the days when Reg posted vids like that every 2 weeks.

I think I read that Mark likes that cut when he is not sure exactly what to expect. And knowing him a little bit, wouldn't surprise me if he shows that cut to be another tool in the box of an arb who is still learning the ins and outs of crane work. Maybe he doesn't see the need to use it himself too often. I suspect Mark knows what 99% of his picks will do.

I agree completely with Reg. Having done a ton of crane work over the years (and never using the v-notch for a pick), I like to see (99% of the time) what the piece is going to do. That is where a straight through cut, aka Rip cut allows you to watch and see that the kerf is slowly opening up and the piece is rotating and adjusting itself to its COG. I do use a form of the v-cut when taking large limbs, that are at a 30-45 degree lean, but this is more of a shelf cut, than a v-cut, so the piece stays right where I want it to, until I tell the CO (crane operator) to take it up.

Below, is another one of Reg's video of a Pine removal with extreme limb weight on one side that required the use of balancers on the first few picks. Here a slow rip cut works best to watch and see what the piece will do. Reg, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't some of those pieces with all that brush weigh around 1.8-2.2 tons?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fwTOWDKHEwk?list=UUpYc97NCVnOjJtrDQlQjtbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can't remember the exact weights Chris....but I do recall we were maxed out on reach. You can hear the siren on the last pic there.

None of those pics really show much twist at all when they leave the cut. I don't think the Vee cut has much application for those. Have never used that Vee cut, but have opened up sides and nipped away watching what progress brings. There are also different scenarios when the boom is off center with a long reach and maybe complicated by long limbs. I've done a lot of crane work as well, and have seen pics do some twisting and shifting about, as no doubt most people have. For a person like Reg that is masterful and has probably pretty much seen it all and has great anticipatory wisdom , I believe that he accomplishes his tasks with the simplest solutions. Unfortunately, not everyone is so skilled, or is always working with a crane op that has the best coordination with what;s happening in the tree. If the Vee cut or pencil cut helps to eliminate potential problems, especially for people with not much experience who need to learn and build up their confidence, it seems like something that can be useful to be aware of. Most guys who are well versed seldom have the need, but maybe every now and then for some reason seems like that tool at the bottom of the drawer that is good to remember that you have. Crane ops tell me that they commonly are working with guys that get their saws stuck, are appreciative of the ones that manage better one way or another. Just my two....

Can't remember the exact weights Chris....but I do recall we were maxed out on reach. You can hear the siren on the last pic there.

Oh yeah, I can hear the siren. Don't you just love it when the home owner or bystanders want to come close to your picks?

I especially remember this video and thread from years ago on the Buzz, because you had to keep explaining to people (especially Justin, aka OleDirty)) why one sling placed on the heavy limb side would not have worked the way that you had wanted it to and that the piece would have flipped too much...don't think he ever came around to seeing it that way :)

Back