5400# chain & binder vs. 5000# ratchet strap

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all!

Maple Wreck, Part 3 had to be postponed last weekend, but I'm going to get serious this Sat/Sun! :evil:

I've got to bind the codominant stems in two places, and I'm trying to decide between this sort of chain/binder setup (WLL 5400 lbs): --Sorry for the monster pix---

image_20710.jpg

image_17511.jpg

versus an endless loop ratchet (WLL 5000 lbs):

21985_full.jpg

What's your opinion on which way to go? Will I get more use from one system than the other? (Price is pretty close, so not much of a factor.)

I need two, so I suppose I could just buy one of each...?? :?

EDITED TO ADD: I think the latter would be a HECK of a lot more useful for securing stuff to the roof of the car! ;)

Used both over the years with no failure, better chance to damage the ratchet in the final flop over chain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you wanting to preload the crack or prevent from spreading farther?

Carl, the whole sordid saga is HERE. Tree is a crispy critter with numerous cracks, flaws, voids, etc.

I'm hoping the binding will reinforce the codom union so it holds together while I spur up the remaining stem from a TIP in a healthy neighboring tree. Of your choices, I THINK that's the "prevent further spread" option?

I'll vote for the ratchet strap. Those chain binders are fricken chin busters

Yup!

Been using ratchet straps just fine. Used both in the past. I'll often use chain at the stump, binder if aloft. Of course a lot of the trees I deal with are pretty good sized at the stump, so chain holds up better under those loads.

Carl, the whole sordid saga is HERE. Tree is a crispy critter with numerous cracks, flaws, voids, etc.

I'm hoping the binding will reinforce the codom union so it holds together while I spur up the remaining stem from a TIP in a healthy neighboring tree. Of your choices, I THINK that's the "prevent further spread" option?

Can you draw on your pictures of the tree to show where you're wanting to use the binding? I'm thinking you're wanting to preload, which favors the ratchet strap(s) approach.

What's the budget?

Thinking binders at the two horizontal lines, there is daylight through the tree at the "X"...

i-3dvTQRB-L.jpg

Budget is low! :lol:

Or just move the bottom one up, for a climbing scenario, it looks practically useless down there

I don't know if I missed it, but is the binding for dropping the tree? If that was me I'd kinda braid it with a good full turn on the top and bottom....if you have enough chain or strap.

Peter, the binding is to climb the left hand (smaller) stem--using a TIP in a healthy neighboring tree--to bomb it down.

I'd still throw a 3rd one up higher.

Butch, do you mean above the crotch, like the top green line below?

Or just move the bottom one up, for a climbing scenario, it looks practically useless down there

What do you think of the placement of the bottom green line, Willie? (Co-dom union in yellow)

i-G93CzVH-L.jpg

Really for me, if i was bracing that to climb on I'd probably put a chain at the top green, then climb up a ways and hang a block on the right stem, run a rope through it to the left stem and cinch it with the GRCS. For the average Joe, a come along would achieve similar results

But up in the tree where it has more leverage on the tree than the tree has on it

Back