5400# chain & binder vs. 5000# ratchet strap

If you put too much squeezing up high, you can blow out the bottom just the same.

On post 21, I would put one ratchet strap at the top white line and the bottom green line. I would make a turn around the tree before hooking it back to itself. A 2" ratchet strap ($13 at Lowes) would be fine with the extra turn. As I went up the tree, I would use a short rope to tie the two sides together, tensioning with a 3:1. That will put a little preload on the tree but more importantly keep your weight's horizontal vector transferred to the other side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you put too much squeezing up high, you can blow out the bottom just the same.

On post 21, I would put one ratchet strap at the top white line and the bottom green line. I would make a turn around the tree before hooking it back to itself. A 2" ratchet strap ($13 at Lowes) would be fine with the extra turn. As I went up the tree, I would use a short rope to tie the two sides together, tensioning with a 3:1. That will put a little preload on the tree but more importantly keep your weight's horizontal vector transferred to the other side.

Sounds good, Willie. I'll have to jury rig the 3:1--or skip that step altogether. In your opinion, would that present an unacceptable risk?

That was Carl. Like he basically said earlier, you're not trying to smash them together, just take a little weight up high so you can support that bad union below

Back