"Social Media Influencers"

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Just holy shit.:O

Did anyone see that 60 Minutes segment tonight on "Social Media Influencers"?

People, like that Casey dude that August says he admires, are putting out totally goofy, lame videos showing more or less nothing, just a bunch of ad lib, silly ass off-the-cuff stuff on FB, instagram, Vine, etc etc and many of them are making MEGA bucks based on the massive # of hits they get and if they are doing some product placements in the vids too.

Millennials eat that stuff up, evidently.

Wow, I am immensely old. It all looks utterly lame to me. Yet the top "influencers" are commonly making in the 6 figures for vids that take 5 or ten minutes to shoot, with no overhead, no production.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is that like an hour-long show?? Lol, 1 minute or less is where its at....

It is a bit odd. I watch some of these "vines" at night before I go to bed, if I am not reading a book or something.

Some of them are quite clever.

I, like some of the other young people on this site, dont really identify with the current crop of Millennials. I will be 34 in February.

But the whole social "vine" deal and the fact that they get paid for it does not really bother me. Just as I dont care if a sports figure makes millions.

Its a real free market deal. You dont perform, you dont get paid. People dont want what you produce, you do something else.

I am not too worried that my kids will get sucked into the "social media" cesspit.

My kids WILL by god be able to talk to folks face to face, write a proper sentence, find a book at a library, and work a full day.

Its a real free market deal. You dont perform, you dont get paid. People dont want what you produce, you do something else.

Totally agree. But what is the appeal of these vids and vines? The ones I have seen, none of them bear watching. Maybe I should, um, watch more. To see.

I hope you are right about your kids, and knowing you, you will succeed in raising productive, good people. But young folks who keep their faces stuck to their phone screen nearly full time?? I don't think any good can come of it.

Ok just went on Vine for a bit. Pretty much straight up strobe vids, eh? Hmmmm.

Even though I see the whole idea of the OP as a rather crazy, disconcerting trend, it is fascinating how huge the tides of change are. The innerwebs are like a juggernaut, unstoppable.

Ok, I watched and hell yea, they are some lucky bastardos. I've watched plenty of those videos and was happily amused.

I need to think up some crazy media stuff!

On second thought, perhaps I already have...

Strobe vids?

I dont know what that is. I watch the ones called "funny" vines.

Vines, internet stuff, social media and cell phones is like jerking off. In moderation its fine. Too much can really screw a person up.

Mess up your relationships, marriages, jobs, ect.

I dont think there will ever be a time when we wont have to interact with people face to face. Or if that time ever comes, the end will be near and the one eyed man will be king.

Strobe vid is what I call a vid comprised of many, many brief scenes, each of which is on screen for so short a time that the mind (mine at least) cannot really process it to get any meaning out of it. I presume it is intended to convey "excitement" or intensity of experience. But yeah, nah.

Ha I like your characterization of the internet stuff, makes sense.

I notice some members of my own family, who shall remain nameless:/:, can't watch tv without simultaneously browsing their phone. Why bother watching tv? Either watch it...or don't. Not sorta watch it. I can't multitask and I consider that a positive trait.

I notice some members of my own family, who shall remain nameless, can't watch tv without simultaneously browsing their phone

I do the same thing, but my browsing is on a 32" monitor. :drink:

Vines must be a format that people need to stay interested, like 10 or 15 seconds.

I suppose that a lot of people today cant sit down and read a book.

I have to budget time to read, because I cant just read a couple chapters, I will read half the book. The inability to concentrate on one task is a troubling trend.

In actuality, very few people have the ability to truly multitask. REALLY multitask.

The vast, vast majority of us that claim to multitask are fooling themselves. We are doing many things at once, poorly. Taking more time to complete these tasks than if we had concentrated on finishing one and moving to another.

My opinion anyway.

I truly think that we are not busier than people were 50 years ago, in many aspects we are less busy. We have found more and more activities to fill time now that we dont have to work as hard to live.
To say we are busier than our fathers were is nonsense.

Gotta agree Jim. Our forbears complained about the telephone... my Dad complained about video games (Pac-Man, Space Invaders, etc.)... we complain about "Social Media," whatever that means. Buncha Old-Man talk if you ask me. What would be truley interesting is a lively group of young people who shunned all technology because, as they believed, it tended to make people less human. But... you'll notice that no such groups tend to emerge.

It was day two of our EMT class today.

The Paramedic that is teaching the class got there at 7 this morning, after teaching till 8 last night. We will be meeting one weekend a month, 12 hours Saturday, and 8 hours Sunday.

Between the monthly meetings we are reading chapters in our 1600! page text book. We will be reading and testing on those chapters on line, 9 to 12 chapters a month. Lots of work, lots of studying.

Two of the people attending the class were on the f'ing phones most of the day! Holy shit! Talk about disrespectful.....in my eyes anyway.

This Paramedic talked most of the time......and honestly the class flew right by for me.

He took the time to tell some war stories from his old days as a Detroit Paramedic. Got started in the early 70's. He has been stabbed and is minus a kidney from being shot in the back. The bullet proof vest saved him, and he is one of the first guys to be on Second Chance's list of saves.

I realize somethings are boring to folks, like everyday life apparently, but shit, if someone takes the time to speak to you........put the damn phone down.

Yes, I am starting to think that life as a lowly Captain/EMR was pretty good. Hell, just plain ole FireFighterZero was pretty good!

But heck, put the phone down and experience life a bit!

Don't feel bad Jim, I did my two day high risk work licence course (cherry pickers), it had a practical test then a two hr. written exam, the kids that had been on their phones were giving up on the written test in about half an hr...
AFTER the instructor had gone through the workbook and TOLD us which bits to really pay attention to when studying...

Back