Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Logging pics

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

How about spraying it with adhesive and pouring sand all over it?

You'd think someone would invent a wedge that was "grabby."

There are barbed wedges. Pound in, but not pop back out. If you're beating hard enough, you'll end up flattening the barbs.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

I like old cutting boards for stacking, but I don't do big trees.
    Peter

I need to do that Peter. My wife is not gonna be happy when she gets home though. Maybe I?ll just wait a bit and buy her some new ones for Valentine?s Day or something
    -Rich

IKEA cutting boards or Dollar Store cutting boards best bang for the buck. I gotta try some magnesium wedges had a few spit out today the bigger oaks and ash were fine but smallish oaks and sugar maple spit them out.

Those "barbed" wedges sorta work when the barbs are against wood, but stacked not at all, plastic wedge to wedge surfaces.

Sawchips or grit is way better.

And hear me...three or even four separate wedge sets kept fairly equally loaded will help keep any individual set from spitting out, since the load on any one set is minimized.

Take your time and do it careful and smart.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

There are ones with barbs on one side. Is that what you're talking about, B? My use is limited with them.

Fully agree on multiple sets. At State Parks we were regularly beating trees over, big or small. Since we didn't do clean up, we didn't set ropes very often, then have to cut them out from under trees. Almost never.

Willie showed an interesting picture. It was having one layer on a diagonal to another layer of wedges.

We would tend to beat many wedges or many stacks, while the other crew did a lot of walloping on one.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Right, Sean. The barbs are on one side only, at least so far as I have seen. But that doesn't keep any fool of a faller from paying no attention at all thereto .
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Treehouser Sponsor chris_girard's Avatar

One way that you can avoid having to stack multiple wedges directly on top of each other is to bore cut a couple of slots 1" below where you plan on driving the first wedge in your backcut and then slowly drive each one in as you make your backcut. What happens is the vertical grain in the 1" pieces of wood will split out allowing the necessary lift without the wedges ever splitting out. I can 3 wedges stacked vertically this way ever time without issues.

TreeHouser Sponsor

Clever!