Logging pics

How about east coast/ midwest/ southern (might be feller-buncher loblolly pines or something) logging? How long do people cut/ commute?

That's for falling, those hrs.

Logging we did eight hrs on site. Sometimes super long commutes, truck, boat or heli are the only ways I ever went back and forth to the block. Worked many fly in camps but never took a plane to and from the block/worksite. Seen over 2hrs each way many times.

I was making the princely sum of 8 bucks/hour to set chokers. Indeed 2 hour commutes 1 way were not unusual. Used to get up at 2am to start in woods at 5 am. I avoided some of those commutes by camping on site or nearby in VW van.

Doesn’t sound very attractive, from what I saw on Axmen (I know!) setting chokers looks like hard work, scrabbling around reaching around under trunks in the pissing rain.

What sort of money were you making? If I may be so bold!

Going back about 20-27 years roughly $200-$250/day Cdn. Plus benefits. It was pretty good for a young man. That was logging money, fallers made more but I was never able to get a steady gig doing that. I started on the coast at 18. Full union camp, someone made my bed and swept my room everyday. All you could eat buffet every evening. Whatever you could imagine to order for breakfast and a huge spread of tables of food to choose for lunch each day. I stayed in a few different camps. The best one had a 24/7 available commercial sized ice cream freezer and pastry/treat tables. As well as a bar/Lounge with cheap beer, pool tables and sat tv. No logging camp I ever stayed in was dry, but I never drank in camp. Wasn't interested, back then I'd slip out back for a 'smoke'. $2.50/day was deducted from my wage to cover camp costs. Odd setup I know but that was the 'agreement' somehow or other. Still cheap way to live.

Having just come back from a week of 11½ hour logging days, I'll have to agree.
Took me all weekend to get back on my feet.

We didn't have any choice, the forwarder had to be out of there by Saturday, so we had to get the job done.
Not something I ever want to do again, if I can avoid it.
But the ewenings were still enjoyable; good food and conversation.

I'll post some pics in the work picture thread.

Going back about 20-27 years roughly $200-$250/day Cdn. Plus benefits. It was pretty good for a young man. That was logging money, fallers made more but I was never able to get a steady gig doing that. I started on the coast at 18. Full union camp, someone made my bed and swept my room everyday. All you could eat buffet every evening. Whatever you could imagine to order for breakfast and a huge spread of tables of food to choose for lunch each day. I stayed in a few different camps. The best one had a 24/7 available commercial sized ice cream freezer and pastry/treat tables. As well as a bar/Lounge with cheap beer, pool tables and sat tv. No logging camp I ever stayed in was dry, but I never drank in camp. Wasn't interested, back then I'd slip out back for a 'smoke'. $2.50/day was deducted from my wage to cover camp costs. Odd setup I know but that was the 'agreement' somehow or other. Still cheap way to live.

Would have enjoyed that life years ago!! Hard work but provisions all sorted. I find I can still work hard at times but it’s the going home and going straight into domestic chores and kids school life exhausts me!!!

That is why I so enjoy working at Nordfelt Castle.
We put in 10-11 hour days, but at the end we can shower and sit down to a loaded table and some good conversation with the owners.
Only place, I've ever come across that.

Last year, we worked there for 7 weeks and the " lady of the manor" cooked for us every day, except once when she had to go to a funeral.
Then she set out a vegetarian chili for us to reheat.:)

We killed a bunch of really nice, large Beech trees this week.
Small private forest.
We knocked some well needed holes in the canopy, to let some sun in and give the next generation a chance to sprout.

Some fine logs.

P1070134.JPG P1070195.JPG P1070201.JPG P1070207.JPG P1070177.JPG

Beech woods (as in the woods populated mostly by beech) are very picturesque, don’t the leaves poison other plants or something?

They are good at shading other species away, being very shade tolerant themselves.
So over time, you end up with pure Beech stands.
Only where the soil suits them, though.

Back