Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging pics

Barbed wedges?

Maybe what Kyle was referring to...if you plunge in about an inch or less below the center of your backcut, you can sink a wedge into that plunge cut, and one directly above it in the back-cut, and have the stacking effect without plastic on plastic. This works for three wedges, too.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Hourly, which I like because I can pace myself and still make about $365 a day.

There are also the wedges with the raised arrow or angle shapes on them to reduce pop out.
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Good explanation Sean. One nice thing about this forum is all the ideas and techniques that get bounced around. It gets me to thinking outside the traditional box. 99% of the time I will probably do it the old fanshioned way but now I have new options to explore.

I forgot about those kind of wedges Cory. I believe it’s the magnesium wedge that is suppose to work well in frozen wood too. I have never used one.
    Shawn

Most of the good cutters around here all use k+h. But we rarely have frozen wood.
    Zane Shepherd

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    99% of the time I will probably do it the old fashioned way but now I have new options to explore.
    99% of the time, the old-fashioned way is quick, easy, and effective. Doing it the new way to practice some of that 99% percent will get you ready for when its that 1% of the time.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

+10
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Don't forget the old trick of scattering some gritty soil or sawchips in between stacked wedges to help keep them from spitting out. Wet soil that easily turns muddy, or clay types, need not apply ...might as well use grease.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Everyone has saw chips! Never thought of that.

Thanks, B for the old-school knowledge.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I wonder how well sandpaper glued to the wedges would work?

I think it would peel off as you hit one wedge then the other.

Generally speaking I think if youre stacking wedges and having to hit them so hard that they are popping out, that you needed a better plan. Maybe a pull line, or fall the tree a different direction. Dont get me wrong, I start on trees knowing that I will have to wedge them. If I have to stack its because I misjudged the lean, not because I planned to. Most times when I stack I only have to tap on em to get the tree to go, so they dont want to pop out. If you know you have to beat on stacked wedges, sawdust between em does help.

I have on occasion had to beat on several stacks of wedges, because I was too far in from the road, with only a few trees I had to wedge, so silly to pack in jacks. Dutchmen, and push trees can also save on wedging, and I use them often when cutting, but rarely around houses.

When working around houses a line beats wedges everytime, and its silly not to use one if you have the option.

Just my .02
    Zane Shepherd