Thread Cutting Fluid vs. Bar Oil

Drill your 1/8 pilot hole and then go straight to the 7/16. If you go larger than the cross section of where the two flights of the drill meet, it will grab. Too large and it will grab hard enough on 1/2 drill motor to almost break your thumb if not careful.

I think cutting fluid has a higher percentage of sulfur which aids in the cutting, the real deal carbide bits are the cats azz too. I use tap magic on projects I don't have to paint and water soluble cutting oil on projects I do.

Carbide $$$ I like cobalt for all of my drilling and use rapid tap.

Like these? IRWIN Tools Cobalt High-Speed Steel Drill Bit, 29-Piece Metal Index Set (3018002) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO9JMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BacdybCB1M21S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes.
Seriously? I'd be too scared! If it works it works though!

No you should be fine with a 1/8" pilot hole and then going to your final drill size. Just remember when drilling metal: high rpm light feed pressure with small bits and slower rpm with more feed pressure with larger bits.

Thread cutting oil has a higher concentration of sulphur which is why it smells like a bucket of butt holes .About anything will work though,motor oil ,auto tranny fluid WD -40 .Budweiser beer .

You are better off to use series of drill bits than trying to punch it straight out with the largest bit .Inserted carbide will just break off most of the time unless you have it in a drill press.Not real good on steel .Solid carbide does okay for things like chainsaw bars but it takes a method and too they will break .

Speed is where most people run into trouble .Little bits like 1/8" need more speed else you break them off .Obviously larger like 3/4" need less else you burn them up .If you have the right speed and the right feed rate the chip carries the heat with it and off the work piece and tool .

Drilling on the lathe I might be wondering where I put the can of cutting oil, and grab the equivalent here of WD40. I suppose it's better than nothing, but the heat makes it smoke away disappear very quickly. Poor lubrication or heat dissipation in that application, i would imagine.

I have a skilley pump on my lathe, hardly a puff of smoke, even in the deepest cut.

I thought the bar oil would have smoked like a summabitch, but I was surprised it didn't.

I read where old timey machinists found lard/bacon grease to be not a bad lubricant at all. I hesitate to suggest whale blubber.

One guy was saying that he gets the best results from bacon drippings by mixing in 50/50 diesel fuel and a touch of tractor hydraulic fluid, I guess to thicken it up. Mixing the fat when it's melted hot seems to even it all out and prevents globs of lard floating around in the mix.

Use bar oil all the time. Just drilled a 1" hole through 1/4 plate the other day... worked fine... I just put some in the jug cap and drip it on the cutting as I go. Oil it up and keep cutting.. repeat

1" with a twist drill?! Good luck with that! I have a mag drill for that kind of nonsense, that will put a 1" hole through 1/4 plate in about 30 seconds with no pilot hole. Perfectly perpendicular every time too.

Back