Thread Cutting Fluid vs. Bar Oil

NickfromWI

King of Splices
I have to drill a 7/16" diameter hole into a ¾" thick steel plate as the anchor for a cabling/guying project we're working on.

I've drilled holes in steel before...but never in something that thick. ¼" for sure. I've never bothered with any lube on the bits. I would just start small then work my way up until the desired hole diameter was reached.

I'm planning on using Forney 20857 Tap Magic Industrial Pro Cutting Fluid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X3ZKXI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.CqcybS55808Z

But it dawned on me: is this stuff any better for the job than bar oil would be?

So that being said: Am I being foolish here? Or would it totally work? The oil is cheap and I don't mind buying it. But I just don't like extra things cluttering the garage. If bar oil would work 75% as good, I think I'd be happy just doing that.

Thoughts?

While we're at it: any recommendations for the best bits for drilling into the steel?

love
nick

Worked ok. Not as smokey as I thought it would've been, but it worked. Just need a good oiler or squirt bottle. I'd say go for it. I know I will, I'm too lazy to empty my cutting lube oiler.

Oh, 7/16ths. My brain saw 7/8ths for some reason!

Yeah, any old oil would work for that. I have used motor oil before.

I like the split point bits, but what ever you use dont drill to large a pilot hole. I would do a quarter first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I've done in the past is just using dewalt brand bits from home depot

074d7ee5-011a-4dc8-b43b-645e721c8361_400.jpg

I start with a small bit...maybe ⅛" or something close to that then just drill slow, try to get through it...then step up to a larger...and larger...and larger bit. It will probably take 8-10 steps to get up to the size I want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Raj!!!! That was super cool of you!

I'll probably give it a go with the bar oil and a little squirt bottle I'll steal from the kitchen (don't tell Karina!)

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...Ewimk8KFiOrPAhWl0FQKHaFRC0UQ2CkImQMwDQ&adurl=

These are what I have been using.

They are hard as a coffin nail, but long lasting.

When I say hard, I mean they can break.

If you use good bits you should be able to drill that hole in three steps max.

If you take too many steps, the bit wont have much to cut each time. When that happens the torque applied to the bit is transfered to the work through a very thin portion of the cutting edge. You can chip the cutting edge quickly doing that.

I honestly think the cutting oils are a waste. In the mill we use whatever is within hands reach. Motor oil, bar oil, hydraulic oil, I think the results are the same with all of them. We've even tried coating the bit with a "new" toilet wax ring, or a hot crayon. Anything slick will help. The dewalt bits are great for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty good. Busy mostly. Just been lurking in the shadows a little. Haven't had a chance to post much so I've just been keeping quit and popping in from time to time.

Agreed. Most of the time anyway. Hope all is well with the house and everyone on here.

The main benefit of cutting/tapping fluid is to cool the work piece and cutting tool. Fluid is a better thermoconducter than air, any fluid will do, even water.

I think cutting fluid has a higher percentage of sulfur which aids in the cutting, the real deal carbide bits are the cats azz too. I use tap magic on projects I don't have to paint and water soluble cutting oil on projects I do.

Agreed, bar oil will be fine. If you're drilling big often it might be worth getting some cutting oil.

How's that monster FB working out for you, Denver?

How's that monster FB working out for you, Denver?

So far I guess they are liking it. They haven't had any major breakdowns with it so that's a major plus. Saving a fortune due to no hydraulic leaks. Now they need an operator. I'm still stuck at the mill. They had one guy take a new job and one retire. Dad is running the machine and he has 2 very new guys on sliders and a veteran loader operator. I think he is ready to pull his hair out. I can't seem to get away from the mill long enough to be much help to them. Anyway other than the lack of help the machine is pretty nice.

Good to hear. Post some pics now that it isn't all shiny and new!

Back