Cinching climbing line while on Gaffs?

Flip line on the bridge, yes, but more likely when you cut a big side loaded piece, big top, co-leader, main limb ...
Bucking a spar releases far less forces during the cut, due to the very short lever. They are still there, though, we can frequently feel or hear the wood popping during or just after the cut.
In this case, it's only internal stress, vs outside generated force by gravity or /and heavy pull.
Excepted once, a climber reported here that a trunk just split open under him, like a spring of a giant death trap, when he cut the fiber's lock of a crotch.

This site saves lives.

The circle of death is what I was picturing. I never would've given it any thought had I not watched all of the barber chair videos. I saw a video where a guy was in a bucket and cut a big limb. When it let go the limb split and peeled down to the trunk. I thought "Man, that would've put a ton of stress on a lanyard." Then I got to thinking about where all of the that stress would actually go.

Thanks again for stressing the actual dangers of this line of work. Us new guys may not like the advice all of the time, but I think we all appreciate it.

I'm impressed! Good job for researching this! It is hard to keep up with all that can kill you in this line of work. It is very important to keep learning and finding safer ways to do things. I keep finding things that I can improve and think about how lucky I was doing it the way I used to that the circumstances never played out just the wrong way. Even when you are aware of the possible mishaps...we are dealing with organic structures that are all built differently.

Back