Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a chipper

Default Thinking about getting a chipper

So I've been mulling this over for a few months. I'm leaving a lot of money on the table by not being able to do any meaningful cleanup. 95% of the work I do is rural, and if I had a little chipper I could blast into the woods with, I'd be cruising.

At work we've got a Vermeer 9" 935. I like it, but it's not what I want to go with personally. I've looked at the 12" models, and I'm not sure I need something that big. Really a 9" stays in my price range (used for sure), and would handle what I need it to. . .

Anyways, I'm seriously looking at This Bandit 90XP. I know it looks a little outdoor dog, but it's low hours. I'm having the owner send me some pictures of the big stuff, the rear main on the engine and the disk. He got it off a landscaper who quit the business and has just been moping around his property with it. . .

What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00u0u_icTOlxnz075_600x450.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	74274
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Bandit 90's rock, but I think that one is overpriced.

Thanks Butch, I'm not defending this particular machine. Totally open to suggestions on what a fair market value would be for something like this with less than 1K hours on it. . .
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I'm no expert, for sure.

Low hours for real? My Autofeed and engine clock were the first two things to break on mine (brand new)

Guy says it's still counting them off. . .
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

Bamboo Plantation Owner Sponsor Tucker943's Avatar

That's $3500 high. Keep shopping.

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

I have a Vermeer 935...really enjoying it for now...cranks easily, has been very reliable so far. I paid $6000 for mine. It looks pretty rough but seems mechanically sound.

I started with an awful BC1200...chuck and duck, scary dangerous thing. It was possessed..needs a drum bearing right now...and a fuel tank...engine is very strong (six cylinder Chrysler) but now that I have experienced feed rollers I plan to get rid of the BC1200. I need to Craiglist it to someone that knows how to replace a drum bearing.

My BC935 had about 940 hours on it when I bought it (it is a mid-90's model)...was owned by a landscaping guy, didn't use it much. Hour meter still works...but if I run it two hours it increments four hours. So maybe it only really had about 500 hours when I bought it? It has a Deutz 3 cylinder diesel...seems plenty good enough for me.

I don't think I want a 12" throat..that means you gotta pick up even bigger logs to get them up on the table to the autofeed rollers...some 6-8" logs are bad enough. And I usually don't put big logs through it...try to either get folks to keep them for firewood or leave them on site to decompose.

If someone insists we will haul logs off site to a wood yard (and sell them for next to nothing) but it's a hassle for us.
    Gary

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

haha...just posted and noticed Chris said it's $3500 high...that jibes with what I got mine for. $9500 does sound pretty high.
    Gary

Bandit 90's are really good chippers!

Actually that price is not bad after looking at all the pics

u should make an offer and see what happends
    Scott

BOTS (black oak tree service)