Thinking about getting a chipper

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it's got a Ford LRG-425 I-4. 2.5 liter gasser at about 70 hp. Very smooth running little industrial motor.

It tows just fine behind a 1/2 ton. Hitting the tow haul butting keeps the r's up and she doesn't seem to mind at all. . .

IMG_20161026_143741604_HDR.jpg

Be sure to touch up the blades every day with that tool. Inversely, once they are dulled don't wear your tool out on them. That tool is meant to touch up, not to sharpen

Cool, thanks Willie.

A guy in town will grind them for me Butch. I'm going to throw the new set on this weekend and get the existing ones reground. Don't know if he can salvage the old set, but I'll send those off too. He owes me. haha

While you are in there, check the condition of your anvil as well. I can have mine re ground. Stehanson used to hard face them his self and hand grind. I bought a new one once I saw how worn the one in the machine was. Then took it to the machinist that grinds my knives for me. He was able to mill the face true again and I will have a lot of life on them. Mine are two sided x two edges. So I can flip them 4 ways. A lot of adjustment as well to the knife face. Not sure about the Bandit.
The blades I get from WesSpur have the Bandit label on them BTW.

That makes a lot of sense Stephen, I've got a new anvil coming from Bandit direct. I'll flip and reset the existing when I change the knives.

Man, I always dressed the blades - every day. That 'nice machined edge' doesn't last that long and that tool really helps to freshen them back up.

Different strokes! Literally! :lol:

Also in the manual it will give a minimum size the knife should be ground too. Mind that measurement as knives ground to smaller than this risk breaking/shattering.

I started using the ascu sharp tool only recently, I think it works well to touch up new knives.

By all means be sure your anvil is in good shape. But their edge lasts a long time in my experience, so maybe the one you have in there now is gtg?

Beauty. I would love that chipper.

While its still clean, it might be a good time for traction tape. Helps to avoid a slip, IME.

You might make an Arbor Trolley/ brush cart mount, too. My AT mounts along with a tri-hinged 4x8' plywood "shield"/ "backstop" that has a whole lot of uses. I'm happy to have them with me whenever we're chipping.

Reminds me that I want to install a bigger tool box on my fender, and flag-holders. Thanks. Seems like you permanently mounted extensions for visibility. What did you use and why?

That looks fantastic Sam!!!

You will get many years from a bandit chipper, good choice ;)

Thanks guys! It seems very happy. Easy bugger to work on too! 8)

permanently mounted extensions for visibility. What did you use and why?

They're marking antennae off of snow plows. . . Kinda let you know were your fender flairs are at around posts, trees, door frames ext.

14971054_1178633325505940_1642137353_o.jpg

14958824_1178633345505938_1178063745_n.jpg

Back