Gaff question.

Sounds good Bronc, low and slow is a good thing, dont rush it, think it out ;)

Ive been luving my gecko carbon fiber spurs, so light I can just run up them pine trees..;)

View attachment 74384

Do you have anything to say about sizing? Did you have trouble finding your size? Does it interface well even while wearing different boots etc? I like the idea of the one solid piece, but I have never tried one on to see how they feel and am pretty far from any arborist supply.

I use the large size...they tell you how to measure before ordering...

they are ridiculously, unbelievably light, like holding 2 feathers

I remember when I took my pole climbing training at Sheppard Air Force Base we had these plastic guards that went around the side and heel of my boots to help keep you from gaffing your heel. They wrapped around the shank of the gaff leg and screwed to themselves.

A CE puke like me. Structures guy here!

small world eh, I'm yet find anyone that's not impressed with carbon fibre geckos, some have commented they are the "Nike Airs" of spurs. Like Scott said they have info that helps you determine sizing based on measurements of your leg.

I forgot the weight rating on Geckos.....like 300# ?

I think it is more like 240# with gear.

I might be reconsidering my Buck Ti choice...I am liking what you all are saying about the Geckos! I am about 190 with out gear...so that gives me 50# to play with on top of that...:lie:so I'll be narrowing down what gear I want to bring with me...;)I am a gear addict so it could be close.:D pretty soon I am going to be the coolest guy spiking up a tree - like this guy here :dance:

Also, with the measurements for the Geckos...what is the knob of the knee joint referring too? Your Patella/knee cap? Or is it the knob on your tibia? ...and how accurate do I need to be? Looks like the sizes are only a difference of an inch.

I got Gecko carbon fiber climbers in the mail today!:dance:
I can't try them out until I have a suitable tree i.e. a removal. But, these are SO light. I mean really! I almost want to wear them around the house. My wife is physically holding me back keeping me from running up one of our trees with these things. I will have to report back when I have some time in them, but it's looking good. Thanks for the push in that direction, these are top quality!

If they're your first you will probably be really happy because it is what you get used to. Gecks hit the market w a big splash ( never tried them ) ... I believe at least one THer didn't like them though.

No, I've been on Buckingham steel since I started. These might take some getting used to, and there is a chance I just won't like them...but, from the looks of it, that is a very small chance.

I tried the Gecko CF climbers today. I'll say that they are unbelievably light. They definitely do not work with my 16" Climber boots. The top of the boot is midway on the pad and thus digs into my shin. I rolled my boot down below the pad and the Geckos were super comfortable...I just had to get the boot out of the way. I have other shorter boots that I will try next time, but yeah, not good with the 16 inchers. The Gecko CF were so light and comfortable and didn't clank or rattle as they are all one piece. The upper velcro strap was quite adjustable and made getting in and out of them really fast. It will still take some getting used to... as it is a different geometry and feel than what I am used to. There are a lot of things I love about them, and I hope the slight negatives/differences will all disappear as I get used to the new feel.

Be careful NOT to gaff yourself. That seems like a common sense type of thing, but I sure wish someone woulda told me that back when I first geared up.

I generally drag my spur up the tree a good bit, with the rope over the top of my boot, where I can feel it. I don't lift and stomp. Most of these trees I just step up, without setting the spur.

In my shed resides a set of Bashlin pole spikes I have not used in 30 years and with any luck I'll never need to again .

What do you think about European gaffs. In particular, those on the left -

Klein on the left, right Distel -

Unlike Klein (
Buckingham etc.) , Distel allows you to comfortably move around on the ground.

A higher attachment point is a great idea!

But, don't forget walking around on the ground is more a safety issue over dulling the gaffs.

I prefer the gaff on the left.

Back