Gaff question.

Broncman

Treehouser
Been keeping my eyes open for a set of gaffs and just ran across a pair of Buckingham permanent gaffs with the T pads that have never been climbed in for $130. This will be my first set and I will not be doing any production work, just on my property for the removal of some Poplar trees.

The permanent gaffs have the longest spurs. I know these are better for thick barked trees. Should I pass and get a set with shorter replaceable gaffs? Which are easiest to learn on with medium barked trees?

Thanks

I stumbled onto some gaffs that needed to be properly profiled. They are in between the tree and pole gaffs in length. Best of both IMHO. I've tried to go to tree gaffs, and seem to wrench my hips out on the regular spruces and maples I would climb. Probably has to do with what my body got used to in using the mid size gaff.

It HURTS!

Be careful NOT to gaff yourself. That seems like a common sense type of thing, but I sure wish someone woulda told me that back when I first geared up.

Don't gaff yourself and don't gaff your rope. Both will happen, hopefully to lesser degrees of severity :/:

That's not a bad price if you never think you'll wear the spikes out. . .

Kleins with tree gaffs here.

Tree gaffs are a 'lil more difficult to get comfortable on over pole gaffs.

I only used them when I had to, preferring pole gaffs instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys, got a good tree to learn on. I know 2 people that have gaffed themselves... Slow and careful,

Kind of reminds me of wearing horse spurs. You had to learn to walk without getting your other foot.

Best practice is to never walk in them :). Put them on at the base of the tree, take them off the same place, soon as you hit the ground. It's pretty easy to stick yourself on the ground, moving around.

Climbing spurs that is, not the horse spurs :D.

Side note , in a thrift shop recently and found a set of Buckingham Tree Gaffs w out pads and straps. Never used so they're new , well sort of , as shipping label is 1941 in my best guess. Of course I bought them , not sure why.

I would get the gaff leg guards from treestuff while you are practicing. If you click a carabiner to your side d ring and then to your rope it acts as a redirect and helps to reduce the likely hood of gaffing the rope

Or just learn to be careful sooner. I'm good with being safe but at the end of the day, awareness saves lives. Screenshot_20161019-141340.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got them for $125. Actually ran into the kid who pawned them. Might have been 125 lbs soaking wet. Said they were to heavy for him. Already got some gaff shields in the works. Upgrading boots before I strap them on.

I use some no name brand pole Spurs most of the time and if it's nasty I wear Buckingham tree Spurs, both with Velcro weaver pads. The spur itself is less of an issue than the pad/boot combo imho. Good pads and Hoffman boots work best for me.

As far as spurring yourself or your climb line the best way to avoid it is to pay the frig attention to what you're doing. Don't pardon my French, but your setting out to do something that people die doing all the god damn time, so pay attention to what the frig you're doing, or else.

For most trees I like pole gaffs. For old growth pines with really thick bark I usually go with the tree gaffs. It seems easier on my feet being in close to the wood. With tree gaffs on thin barked trees it feels like I'm on stilts and it's just not as comfortable. Just my opinion. Boots are as important as any other part of the climbing comfort equation. Sounds like you're working on that.

Tree Spurs and thin bark seem to hurt my hips more than my feet. I wonder if that has to do with my technique...

Back