Do electric saws have an oil pump?

Robert P

TreeHouser
I have a Remington electric saw, would you expect there to be an oil pump or is it gravity feed? Oil will puddle when it's sitting overnight but when I observe it with the bar off, while some will dribble out, when running I don't see any increase in the oil flow. Oil hole isn't obstructed, I can push a toothpick in all the way and not encounter any resistance, no crud on it when I pull it out.

I haven't worked on electric saws, but if there is a hose from the pump to the oil outlet hole, there could well be a tear or hole in it. Oil shouldn't leak out in much quantity, just some possible drip from residual oil left on parts or chain from when in use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is oil pumps on most of them. What brand and model is this?
Remington 107624-02 It's an older version that's been replaced by their current Versa Saw model.

After further research it seems that you're supposed to push the rubber oil reservoir cap top a couple of times before every cut to force oil out of the weep hole. The newer version has some kind of auto-oiler. Don't know if that means a pump or a bigger weep hole.

I just looked at reviews for the newer Versa Saw, they say it uses plastic teeth for the chain drive - can that possibly be right? The drive teeth on mine are steel. Surely plastic wouldn't last any time - I would assume the drive sprockets for the chain would be one of the highest wear pieces on the saw.

Or maybe they mean the gears that turn the chain drive.

No, they mean the transmission gear. It is plastic on most electric saws since many years now, about 1985 and on.
Its the starts and stops that is hard on the gears. This is controlled on most saws in a way that doesn't eat the gears although there is more power in them.
Over load clutches, slow start/step start, braked stop..

Some consumer grade ones had metal gears a bit later as well as engine sticking out on side like on yours.
I don't think Remington ever made a pro grade electric saw, not many did and today its only two or three models that are made in pro grade.

On most saws the engine is electronically controlled. They started doing this in mid 80's. Today a little 'puter inside that help you run the saw and keep engine working optimally.

Back