Fundamental reasons pro chainsaws are better than less expensive saws?

Hey, dude.
When they stop working, we figure the little imp inside got tired and we simply toss them out.

Or if they are not completely dead, sell them to woodturners.

Works well for us:D

hahaha...see...Stig's definitely a pro. He knows EXACTLY what to do when they don't grunt anymore!

Freakin' imps have some nerve.

Just remember not to hit the decompression valve before storing overnight. If you do the demon inside will escape and the saw will cease to run:lol:

My Stihl dealer/saw mechanic told me the Stihl HO saws were designed to last 20 hours...that is a lot for most home owners. 2-3 hours use per year is probably common.

I took my 192-T in to get some work done once and he quoted the price to fix it then told me the above.

I bought a 200T instead of investing in fixing my 192T.

The HO saws are basically throw-away saws is how he put it.

Not so fast.... I like and run 192's, and run them hard...thought one of them was nearing end of life, due to it not being pro grade. I was wrong, as all it needed was a carb tweak... FWIW, I port their mufflers, which, allows them to produce gobs more power, if fact, almost as fast as a 200 in small wood, say, under 10", it does allow them to run cooler, which can extend a saw's life. As well, I've never bought one new, and so have always paid way less than half the cost of a 200/201. Umlike most homeowner grade saws, the 192 is a winner...and why I've never gotten a pro grade $450 150....

Granted, personally, I have no other homeowner grade saws....

I've got a couple of boxes of parts from Stihl 029's and 039's that only made it a couple of years before they gave up the ghost from being ground saws for a tree service company .By the same token I have a 281 Husqvarna and that 038 Stihl Magnun that were simply retired and still can get-er-done .--I'm like that guy in the previous post,I don't buy new saws ---

Not to get in the fray but you have to bear in mind that some of us use saws and some of us work on them also .Makes a big difference in how some of us base our opinions .;)

Absolutely, Al.
I realize that my "run them to death, then toss them out" policy is probably pretty elitist, but then I've made my living from saws for the last 39 years, and I hate fiddling with them.

On a "real" saw I'm willing to run it , feed it , replace switches , Brakes , Handles , Carbs , Clutches , Drive Sprockets , ect ... Generally throw them out or keep carcass for parts when cylinder is scored. Hardly ever throw down for rebuilds except in cases where I love the model and Husky discontinued same.

They can be classified as expendables like drill motors and power saws to a building contractor .Just depends on what you are doing with them .

Bath tubs:D They used to make shrines out of old footed tubs .Then they became a retro look thing along with Archie Bunker toilets .

Now these less expensive saws such as the 250-290 Stihl .For what they are designed for they do just fine .You can't compare them with the more robust pro models .That would be like comparing a Ford Ranger with a heavy duty Ford F-250 or a Cadillac to a Honda Civic .---I know some of you would prefer the Honda ,different strokes---:)

There is pro's using cheeper saws too for various reasons.
I know a couple forest workers that buy that way and simply toss it in the shed when it acts up and out with a new.
A philosophy I can't really understand, but they seem to enjoy it. They have been doing it since 70's...
I bought a bunch of saws from them over the years.

If you have a saw that is to be a money maker, get a good one. Spend the extra in purchase, its far cheaper in long run I think.
Performance and production wise there is a huge difference in the saws.

someone told me the cheap saws have plated bearings and components, the nicer saw have good ones. its the same dicference between a wallmart skateboard and a $200 ride.

I know a guy who owns a tree service who has never filed a chain in his life.The Stihl dealer loves him .Hauls maybe 20 loops off to the dealer every so often,picks up the last bunch he dropped off .Might buy another dozen new ones while he's there .He goes through a lot of saws too,simple chit most of the time .Don't care,won't run ,buy a new one,give the old one to Al,Works out fine for me:lol:

I knew a fellow who'd toss a dull chain and slap on a new one.He didn't believe in files, LOL.

Rental yards do that here. Nice to know someone that works at a rental yard. No bargain getting some of them though, dull like trying to write something with the eraser end of a pencil.

Yep , took over a hundred discard chains home from the ski area. Some were near new for wear. All duller than the dirt and rocks they were cutting last. Saving a buck , harnessing up a gimmee , and having multiple bars and Saws let me recycle pretty good .... Most of the time worth the time and files. Kinks and Hardened up rolled over chisels I have learned just to toss them.

It was simple before. You had 3 categories:
Consumer grade saws, 20-1000hrs runtime.
Farmer/semipro saws, 1000-2000hrs runtime.
Pro saws, minimum 2000hrs + more performance. Pro's used them sometimes two years daily use....
Now it is not that easy to find saws that last 2000hrs runtime.

So they change standards and mix up the categories a bit so you have Pro and non pro saws today.
Pro saws that are cheep or expensive, but still pro saws..

Truth be told it is not about happy consumers and product choice any more.
Its all about units sold, marginals and marketing.

Its cheaper to make one saw perform less than another with same parts than have two models that is totally different and use separate parts.

It is more important to know how to keep it going and what to do with the saw today than ever.

I had a consumer grade Husky 45 that lasted amazingly well. My only complaint was the cheap ass oil pump. Wore out 3 of them. Saw still ran great till stepson switched gas jugs on me. It didn't owe me a dime. I doubt a 445 would last as long. My bud bought one at the same time (1996) and his is still running.

I should have bought a 55, but I planned on doing some climbing with it, so it was a compromise.

Back