Ms 250

onepaw

TreeHouser
Good evening. I'm looking to buy a new saw. One for cutting firewood and general work around the farm. Stihl has the ms 250 on sale,60 dollars off the normal price. I've read the publics reviews and it sounds good, but I wanted to check here before I buy it. I value the tree housers views way higher than the general publics. Has anyone had experiences with this saw,good or bad and is there any failings to look for? Thanks!

Junk. Try and find a Ms261 without the C. It will pull a 20" bar and last much longer.

I'd consider the 250 as being less than optimal / suitable for the work you envision doing with it.
I've only ever run 16" bars on my 260 / 261's, and have owned one 250 (also 16" bar).

I had a 250. It was fine for homeowner type work.
I sold it to a homeowner and moved on to the 260/261 pro.

Best bar length for the 260 is 16".
If you want to go longer I'd step up to the 361...will carry an 18- 20" bar just fine
I've had my 361 for a while as well, nice saw. (I think they are up to 362 now...not sure though, more upgrades)

Haha! I have a 250 and its great! It is one of the early ones with the captive spring start.

Sucker always starts, always runs. Only thing I have done is have the handle replaced after I dropped a post on it.

Sometimes I wipe the big stuff off the filter and I did take the bar off once and cleaned out the junk. Thats it.

I cut firewood, trees, wind break boards, and point 8 inch set posts with it.

Or go buy an Echo 590. I now own 4

Wow, that's quite an endorsement! My one and only saw is the Echo 330T, which I don't think they make anymore. I buy those cans of premix pure gas, and my little saw runs like a top on those infrequent occaisions when I need it. Nice to know that you like their bigger saws, too.

It might end up being tougher for me to find someone to work on my Echo when something eventually needs repair. I'm hoping those days are a ways off. I'm no saw mechanic. Stihl has a dealership near me that seems to retain decent mechanics, but their top handle would probably have cost me twice what I paid for my little Echo, and as an occaisional user I could not justify paying that kind of money out.

Tim

Still running a 330 here. Wish I had bought a couple more before they discontinued it. I modded the muffler on mine and it's a little screamer. Never gives me any trouble either. They guys that have used it are impressed. Certainly no 200T, but holds it's own. Warranty is nice as well. I like my 330 better than the 355. It just seemed to give me more for what I did to it for the displacement. Not to know the 355. Decent saw. I think I might have to dig into it and find out why the can on it seems to gum up so much. Maybe some cutting and brazing will fix it.

I have yet to mod the 590s, but I don't seem to need to. I wish I could put bigger dogs on it. But I might try just making one larger one and see how she fairs. Plenty of cutting power.

Back