Steens Mtn. camping hiking trip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wally, M and I both thought of you and your motorbike cruises while on the Loop road. It's popular with riders, we saw several small groups. You'd love it.

Good stuff Burnham!

The mosquitos in that area are ridiculous, you won't do battle, you'll just get beat up! Malathion deodorant and cologne!

Takes one to know one, Stig :D...thanks for the compliment.

You two always have a place to rest and recoup next time y'all get over to our side of the pond, don't forget. We'd love to host you for as long as you care to share our home.

Thanks Burnham.
It'll happen eventually, right now we are just too busy with horses, dogs etc to travel far.
Meanwhile, why don't you come here instead:)

How is the road through there? I have always wanted to drive through there on my way home but it is something like a 100 miles of dirt road. There is a hot spring at the bottom by Denio that I want to check out but I think you need spring run-off for it not to be a million degrees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is the road through there? I have always wanted to drive through there on my way home but it is something like a 100 miles of dirt road. There is a hot spring at the bottom by Denio that I want to check out but I think you need spring run-off for it not to be a million degrees.

The Steens Mountain Loop road is 60 miles of gravel, but it's in very good shape, any car could do it unless there's snow. But Denio is not on the Loop road, that's in an area we did not visit. No road actually crosses Steens Mtn. west/east.

There are lots of empty miles out there, and I'm sure some of them are not so good. But the main routes are fine, and many are paved, though to get to points of interest, like hot springs, you'd want to be aware of the risks. Lots of info online, we found.

Back