Steens Mtn. camping hiking trip

Burnham

Woods walker
Here's a few pictures from our recent week out in remote SE Oregon. Mighty interesting landscape...a 30 mile long fault block mountain that rises a mile above the surrounding high desert and dry lake bed on either side. Just a smidge under 10,000 feet in elevation. The classic U-shaped gorges tell the tale of heavy glaciation, very impressive.

Fall colors in the aspens and cottonwoods was outstanding, as was the weather in general.

Attachments

• Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 023.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 023.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 64
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 047.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 047.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 112.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 112.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 134.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 134.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 139.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 139.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 144.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 144.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 167.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 167.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 175.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 175.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 188.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 188.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 192.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 192.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 68
  • Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 237.jpg
    Steens Mtn.--Sept. 2016 237.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 70
Really nice, Burnham! What a beautiful place. Also digging the Taj Ma-tent you've got there. Spacious! :thumbup:

You guys look happy & healthy. (In fact, I was thinking I hope I look that good with my shirt off in 14 years!) :lol:

Beautiful, magnificent, rugged, high country! Thank you sharing, B! I wonder, did you backpack in to get those shots, or day hike in from the roadside trailheads?

That last gorge was really something. Got to see it up close.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff, that's a Cabela's Alaskan Guide series 6-person. Just about bomb-proof. It's served us well in our car camping adventures, and yes it is spacious for two, with 6 foot headroom :). And thanks, I'm feeling pretty good these days about my weight and conditioning. M continues looking most awesome, in my view :D.

Jerry, this was all day hikes. And a lot of the best views (and where many of my pictures were taken from) you can drive to on the Steens Mountain Loop Road and see from quite short hikes. We may well go back for backpacking into a few of those gorges from the bottom ends...they are a long hike in, and we only did 5 miles or so into a couple of them.

You and Terri ought to look into a visit. Check out lodging at the Frenchglen Hotel (and the Drovers Inn, same owners) through Google...both are in tiny Frenchglen, OR. Burns is the next closest lodgings, about 60 miles north of Frenchglen.

Beautiful pictures, B! I think a road trip is in order....maybe in the spring when the wildflowers are out. We'll be checking into it.

Beautiful pictures, B! I think a road trip is in order....maybe in the spring when the wildflowers are out. We'll be checking into it.

For what it's worth, Terri...that piece of country is right on top of Malhuer Lake and Harney Lake...the Malhuer N.W. Refuge made so topical by the "occupation" last fall by those idiots that wanted to rob all of us of our public lands...

but that is not my point :).

Malhuer and Harney are very large and shallow high desert lakes that come into being in late winter/early spring and foster huge numbers of migrating waterfowl from the southern wintering grounds headed to the northern nesting grounds. A great place to see huge numbers of birds. If that's your interest, go in late winter into very early spring, take your heavy coats and have a fine time, it's a good place for that.

My point actually is, in spring and most of the summer that part of the world is ruled by unbelievable numbers of nasty, bloodthirsty mosquitos :D.

Avoid the lower and mid elevation parts of Steens in spring and early summer like the plague, or be eaten alive :D.

Fall is the prime season, and later summer is fine generally. Otherwise, steer clear is our advice. Summer is hotter than the hinges of Hell, and winter will freeze your azz off.

To carry on...we saw plenty of pronghorns, blacktail deer in profusion, coyotes, quite a few wild horses, lots of hawks and falcons, and a bunch of different little 'uns...hummers, warblers, sparrows, flycatchers. Magpies and ravens galore. Fun stuff.

Jeff, that's a Cabela's Alaskan Guide series 6-person. Just about bomb-proof. It's served us well in our car camping adventures, and yes it is spacious for two, with 6 foot headroom :). And thanks, I'm feeling pretty good these days about my weight and conditioning. M continues looking most awesome, in my view :D.

To carry on...we saw plenty of pronghorns, blacktail deer in profusion, coyotes, quite a few wild horses, lots of hawks and falcons, and a bunch of different little 'uns...hummers, warblers, sparrows, flycatchers. Magpies and ravens galore. Fun stuff.

Most excellent! :D

Jer and Terri...these sites will get you started. The Frenchglen Hotel site includes info on Drovers Inn.

http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/burns/recreation/steens-mtn.php

http://www.frenchglenhotel.com/

Don't be concerned if some info tells you that the Loop road has a section of steep, narrow, rough on the south leg. BLM has recently put some serious money into improvements, and the whole route is easy for any vehicle these days...allowing for snow of course, which can happen in fall. The Loop road is generally closed from October to April for that reason.

You sure have some nice scenery tucked away here and there in that great country of yours.

Good looking couple of oldtimers, too :)

Hope y'all get the chance to explore it, Jer. We think it is one of the nearly unknown beauties of this part of the world.

You sure have some nice scenery tucked away here and there in that great country of yours.

Good looking couple of oldtimers, too :)

Takes one to know one, Stig :D...thanks for the compliment.

You two always have a place to rest and recoup next time y'all get over to our side of the pond, don't forget. We'd love to host you for as long as you care to share our home.

Back