Full skip or semi-skip

pete mctree

Treehouser
For the first time, skip & semi-skip chain is easily availability through stihl UK. Peter & I have decided to to go halves on a reel, but the decision is which to buy.
It will be run on bars ranging from 25" to 42" & on saws ranging from 70cc upwards. I am worried that full skip will severely hinder any limbing however semi will not provide the same benefits with the longer bars.
What do people recommend & why?

lol,I run full skip. Better clearing in the cut,saw doesn't work as hard;saw gets to put down more power,way less teeth to sharpen.
Big part of it is I run long bars ,it's a west coast thing I hear. Long bar+full skip=same power as a smaller bar with full tooth count. Idk it could all be in my head 🤕

Fwiw, I tried full skip, didn't like it all in hard hardwoods like sugar maple, too bouncy and grabby.

Go with Full Skip, it wont let you down, thats all I run on my saws over 25"

Cory, you just gotta get used to it...mine only chatter if I get rakers to low...

Interesting.

Ha it'll be awhile, I just bought a 100' of full comp:|:

I run full skip full chisel and love it. Would never run anything else. That being said it's because I'm a lazy sob and sharpening is so easy and it gets the job done admirable.

For the first time, skip & semi-skip chain is easily availability through stihl UK. Peter & I have decided to to go halves on a reel, but the decision is which to buy.
It will be run on bars ranging from 25" to 42" & on saws ranging from 70cc upwards. I am worried that full skip will severely hinder any limbing however semi will not provide the same benefits with the longer bars.
What do people recommend & why?
Buy 100 feet of each....

Here's what I run:

full comp on up to 25"...

semi skip, sometimes 25 and to 28..

full skip 28 or 32 and up.......

I do run .404 on the 3120, which normally sports 42 or 43" bars.... full skip,

Square chisel on all.... it can be hand filed or with a Silvey square grinder, or easily converted to round filed.... which should be a 13/64th file, not 7/32.....

By the way, race saw users run full comp.. as it is proven fastest.... until bar lengths get longer... the only reasons why it is slower on longer bars is due to reduced mass and the chip clearance problems....

Cory pm me an address and a link count

You are far too kind! But I've already tried it and wasn't a fan. Do you cut a lot of hard hardwoods?

Plus, what if I tried yours and liked it, what would I do with my hundred feet of chain (well its 80' now) :whine: Rather skewed logic, penny wise/pound foolish I know:|::/::lol:

Back