My First Bid... NOW What?!?

I've stopped thinking so much about estimates and shoot from the hip onsite while trying to account for all the variables, but I'm not relying on my income to support a household, which makes things way easier. On the lighter side (has to be a good friend/ close family) I try to put at least 300 in my pocket after expenses. I don't always hit that, but many days I blow it out of the water. I do work for a contractor friend for 25/hr, but its always one of HIS jobs and I'm not on the hook for damages (also my reputation isn't on the line as much). Otherwise I climb for 75/hr for friends and family, 100 everyone else, I figure 100/hr me and a helper working on the ground, ballpark 600/1200 for me-helper-chipper for a half/full day.
Doing this kind of stuff on the side, without having a business set up and insurance and all that, I wouldn't worry about undercutting a "Legit outfit", you're just helping your buddy with some yard work. I've had friends ask me for a price, and told me that had a lower price, no hard feelings on my end.

If a customer has a "wishlist" - depending on the cost, I'll price the priority trees, then add a "while I'm here and set up" price per tree until they reach their ceiling or realize I can do all the work they wanted without blowing their budget.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys and gals rock!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll go through them carefully this weekend, yet not in an "overthinking" sort of way! :lol:

^^^Thanks for asking, man, but the homeowner's not in any rush; so it likely won't happen before the leaves are down.

I'll be taking a look at the job in the next few weeks and will post an update with pictures. :thumbup:

Good open and honest info, especially the hourly rates. Around me, a CA with a pickup truck with gear goes for about $75cad/hr. Equipment extra. I'm about $25 under that. I have equipment charges.

Ya I am totally not happy about rates here,while a a/c serviceman,a plumber,tile setter,all pulling more than that no questions, cheapest mechanic work is $95 hr. And they don't do fast work necessarily...
We are putting it all on the line ova here,I feel like I'm charging more than most but I really don't know if theres guys sub contracting like myself.
I really want to be doing my own jobs full time but I'm not sure how exactly to get it going to that next level,it is dog eat dog here in this babylon...
Proper ethics of a true arborist are all out the window in this county as well,at least imo,them books being like the bible everyone has thier own interpretation and i must say wtf is going on with our water supply,they on some other shit here man...rant over,Apologies Jeff😖

No apologies necessary, Samuel! I'm rooting for you to get things to the "next level"! :thumbup:
Thanks Jeff 👍
only way to get better rates is to work for yaself imo
Ya ,I'm with ya on that.... Even if i underbid some little jobs I still end up making more than my sub rates,I just keep passing my cards out n have my fingers crossed. I know this is a poor strategy.

Pull the trigger on a website- when you're ready... In this day and age its the most cost effective way to get your name out there- but you can be ripped off pretty easily as well.

Jeff, looking forward to seeing the pics, have you decided on whether your gonna offer a fixed or time based price?

Haven't even looked yet, Peter!

He doesn't seem in a hurry, there are a few other home improvements ahead of the tree work on the list!

Back