Mr. Pine Pitch holds me up at 40ft

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hard to give recommendations just because ropes are a personal choice depending on many factors like area you work in, your weight, SRT or DRT ect.....but saying all that and knowing you climb pitchy pines, and wanting a 7/16th,
11.5mm Tachyon works nice for me on HH2 with 9.3mm epiCord hitch cord tied just like the instructions in HH2 manual...6 wraps works awesome for me but might be different for U...it gets a bit stretchy at over 80-90ft though but would rather have that than a rope that feels like a wire cable.

My favorite climb line is the Samson Vortex 12.7mm nice and fat, easy gripping and has just the right stretch (low-ish) at up to 130ft.

I use the Vortex on original HH and use 10mm epiCord or beeline blue in 10mm with 6 wraps

all my climbing is in SRT ;)

Scott it doesn't have to be 7/16" I actually would like it to be 12 or 13mm but I was trying to stabilize the variables of all this new stuff. I guess if I'm changing climbing ropes that alone is a variable so what the hell...might as well go all the way. I only climb SRT..and just barely. I have the HH2 but is the HH2 vs the HH1 any different in it's rope accommodations?

Yeah a little stretch seems good but not like the suspension of neglected 1972 Plymouth Duster. Hows do either of those compare in the stretch department with the HTP 7/16"? Since it's the only line I've used so far I have little reference.

I have some epiCord 9mm that might work. I'll look into both lines and heed your recommendations. Thanks Scott.
Chris

I will second Scott's recommendation of Vortex with the HH. When you are dealing with something as finicky as a friction hitch, larger diameter climbing line is more forgiving do to the increased surface area within an equal length. A good thing for a beginner. I like 9mm ArbPro tied short as pictured. I weigh just under 150.

I will second Scott's recommendation of Vortex with the HH. When you are dealing with something as finicky as a friction hitch, larger diameter climbing line is more forgiving do to the increased surface area within an equal length. A good thing for a beginner. I like 9mm ArbPro tied short as pictured. I weigh just under 150.

Thanks Dave. Ok I'll look for the Vortex. That all makes a lot of sense to me. Larger diameter means more surface area. My sistuation is almost enought to walk away from the HH and Hitch cord related devises completely...but I really don't want to do that.

Hey PLEASE tell me more about your setup. What is that chest harness? Is it home made or purchased.
The hole in the buckle, is there where it sits when the HAAS is connected to it? How tall are you?
C

Hi Chris, I like your avatar actually-yum! welcome aboard.
Ha! Hey Chris. Thanks man. I didn't think it was cool enough. Seems that I should be hanging from something, cutting into something or lowering something down from some massive height.
Ok I'll leave it. Maybe it makes people hungry. Oh and thanks for the welcome message!
This is a good group here.
C

Hey PLEASE tell me more about your setup. What is that chest harness? Is it home made or purchased?
C

I'm not certain, but I think this might be DMc's harness. Maybe Dave can chime in later to confirm or deny my supposition.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1107

Tim

Edit: Oops! I think this might have been answered in a different thread. The Petzl Torse, not sold at TreeStuff, not the Secur, as I first thought.

I'm digging Sterling Scion with my HH. It's been really smooth.

Good to know. None of this information is wasted. I'm taking everything you guys are telling me into consideration.

Altissimus

Took me almost two years to get a good simple system dialed w HH
I can see why. Tons of variables in rope types, brands, sized, hitch cord size, brand, sizes..ascenders, placement, tending options, etc. etc. etc!
It's crazy.

Safety is pretty personal , some like a Gibbs on their safety some like a knot ... I do best w a handled ascender w a footloop above HH and an ankle ascender. Bungee from saddle over the shoulder tends. Hang a small pulley from ascender for limb walking.

Safety is pretty personal , some like a Gibbs on their safety some like a knot ... I do best w a handled ascender w a footloop above HH and an ankle ascender. Bungee from saddle over the shoulder tends. Hang a small pulley from ascender for limb walking.

Yeah the footloop connected to the hand ascender seem popular. I haven't gone in that direction because I thought it might be more clutter in front of me as I climb. I'll try it as I too use a handle ascender but mostly for a little extra pulling power and balance...well that and 3:1 on limb-walks which I don't seeing the need for this doing what I'm doing. On the Pines it's all the way to the top and about 25ft from the top. Unless I'm messing around I don't have a need to limbwalk on most of these jobs but it's a skill that I want to have under my belt.

Back