Safety Line, or, rope in tree to limit where it can fall.

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all. I have a question for you all. I'm not really sure what it's called, but I was wondering how you rigged a line to make sure a tree can't fall a certain direction. I understand having a line set to PULL a tree a certain direction, but how do you set one not to pull, but basically insure that it can't go a certain direction? I am having a hard time figuring out how tight the "guy line" for lack of a better term, should be. I don't want to put too much stress on the tree I'm anchored to. I also understand that when the tree falls, the distance from the anchor tree will change and either gain slack or tighten. I could see this making the tree being felled kind of "arch" a little towards the anchor tree. Any one have a good video dealing with this? I've got a clearing that I'd like to drop an ash that has pine trees on one side and a couple apple trees on the other. The tree is pretty evenly loaded with no discernible lean. I think a good notch with a pull line to an anchor tree will put it where I want it, but I'd like to limit the distance it can fall towards the apple trees. I have about 40 feet of open space to land it.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it!

Zach

If the tree is sound meaning it isn't hollow or half dead where you are making your notch then you shouldn't have any problems when felling. A good conventional open faced notch while using the guide on your saw is your best option to controlling your fall. If you have a strong anchor point directly inline of the desired lay this can help even more as long as the hinge left has about 5-10 % of diameter of holding wood. Felling wedges can come in quite handy as well. Do u have "To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson? Great book $15.95 at Treestuff. I hope this helps.
Mark

Do u have "To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson? Great book $15.95 at Treestuff.

Great call, Mark!

TFAT is an EXCELLENT resource, Zach. It has exactly what you're talking about on pages 98-100. Sounds like you'd need to use techniques in the sections called "Using a Holding Line to Swing Heavy Side Leaners" and/or "Felling & Pulling Trees in Confined Spaces." Good luck!

Its called a "retainer line" or "right angle retainer line"... Fairly eazsily set and great insurance when there is any doubt about side lean. YOU need to have a gppd anchor point perpendicualr to the lay and hopefully no interefering trees in the way. YOU can use a portawrap and have one man hold the retainer line with three wraps, then once the tree has committed to the lay let go and try to get a wrap off before the line contacts another tree in it's path, which will generally be enough to kee the interfering tree from getting damaged. I have sacraficed one or two small trees over the years, which puts an an unknown amou9nt of force on the tree..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4HRVsoM9bxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Murphy, thanks for the link. That's the best bmv idea I'd seen so far. Regarding that particular video, I have a question. With the anchor tree being almost 90° to the intended fall, WHEN the tree falls, the retainer line will get longer, correct? Ie: slack must be introduced to keep too much stress from the anchor once it's determined that the tree is going where it is supposed to? If slack is not introduced, would the falling tree be pulled/arched towards the anchor tree as it falls?

(I ordered To Fell A Tree. Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't seen it on Treestuff.)

Think of the rules of a right angle triangle. They apply the same whether the tree is vertical or horizontal.

With the anchor tree being almost 90° to the intended fall, WHEN the tree falls, the retainer line will get longer, correct? Ie: slack must be introduced to keep too much stress from the anchor once it's determined that the tree is going where it is supposed to? If slack is not introduced, would the falling tree be pulled/arched towards the anchor tree as it falls?

Generally if you are on flat ground the retainer line and anchor don't seem to take too much force. If the tree is big and falling down hill, them there will be a lot of momentum which will put very large forces on the system. I have only ever had that be a problem once... we usually have fairly flat ground for falling. I broke a rope falling in the Santa Cruz mountains uphill from my buddy's house.. he was happy to replace the rope to get that tree down..

Back