Dads 041

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all. I stopped out at mom and dads last night after looking at a couple trees for a guy. We got to talking about how everything from your child hood looks smaller when you grow up. I remember our old barn being this gargantuan structure when I was little, but now it looks half the size I remember. I said something about how I always remembered his Stihl saw being a lot bigger. It's an 021 with a 16" bar. He said "This one? You probably mean old Scott's..." Scott Was an old guy that hired my dad when he was in high school back in the sixties. By the time I met him he was in his eighties. He had polio and had lost most of his fingers to different farm accidents over the years. He didn't let the polio stop him from farming, but there were times he should have. Anyway, some one stole his chainsaw back in the late sixties-early seventies and he replaced it with an 041AV. Dad went to a locked storage case and pulled that old Stihl out. THAT was the saw I remembered. He said it had quit oiling. He'd taken it to the local Amish chainsaw shop to have them look at it. They told him it was older than any they'd worked on and couldn't figure it out. I pulled the bar off and put some fresh fuel/oil in it and it fired up after a half dozen pulls. It'll run fine for ten seconds or so then it acts like its out of fuel. It DID burble a little oil out of the oil groove, but I don't think it's oiling enough. I'll dig into it some more later. He's got a big dead oak that needs cut up. I'll probably take the 048 over and let it eat a little. Here are a couple pics.

[URL=http://s374.photobucket.com/user/flashover604/media/9194781E-B753-493B-BF56-775CC6D34C75.jpg.html] [/URL]

[URL=http://s374.photobucket.com/user/flashover604/media/13F06C4D-F8C4-4B45-AE79-48671E5D23AF.jpg.html] [/URL]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's got a little heft to it! From what I've read they aren't very fast but they've got gobs of torque. It's got a 20" bar, but I've read that it'll pull a 25" chain with no problem. I'd like to get it up and cutting again, if for no other reason than its old and we know the history since it was new.

It could just be a clogged intake to oilpump. Picup hose is just to pull from connection and take out.
have a look, clean and put back.
Also check and see if knob for oil sullply is stuck. If so oiler is likly stuck as well and need to be taken out and cleaned.
There is not much that can break really... Just cleaning and correct reassemble usually do the trick.

I just remembered the pin..
There is a pin that is under clutch that drive the worm gear. This I replaced a few..
But gear itself and pump I don't think I ever replaced.

If its that old check the fuel hose, it may well be perished and leaking air, hence the 'seems like its run out of gas' symptom

Back