Vancouver logger saves huge fir before it goes the way of the rest of the isle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad you liked it.

Very cool, Cory. Thanks!

It's a testament to Big Lonely Doug's resilience that he seems to be doing okay.

This episode of Radiolab was all about how trees depend on their neighbors in the forest. And BLD ain't got none! Really interesting stuff.

If you want to see how a tree fares without neighbours, go visit the Boole tree .
5th largest sequoia I believe and was left over when Converse basin was clear cut. They left it because they thought it was the biggest one ver.
I've been there 3 times over as many decades.
That thing is in decline like you wouldn't belive.

Morale......don't just save one, save lots.

Last edited:
Agreed, Stig.

Interesting the article touched on why the big fir presumably won't blow over but says the loggers used it for a tail hold thus damaging the bark. Sad.

It just seems short sighted in this day and age with all the experience and knowledge humans have about the way the big environmental and economic picture works to clear cut paradise like that. Its an example of taking the easy way out, of using the lowest common denominator: money.

Stephen, what do you mean 'stolen"? Thanks.

... Had the same thought about leaving just the One , general bet is it won't thrive. Probably survive but is now quite vulnerable. Lightning , Wind , Pestilence ...

This reminds me of the Golden Spruce story. . . Saving one iconic tree while the next side over is getting moonscaped. . .

Still a good story though.

Honestly that's sort of how I felt about it too when reading through. A bit like going and cutting it down. Hard to get all warm and fuzzy feeling for me about saving one tree in the woods. Seems odd to me to put 40 years (or whatever it was)into the logging industry and stick a 'save tree' flag on one big'un and that's your legacy? The article goes a bit into the magnitude of logging in BC(I guess I can safely say that now that Willard flamed out). How many 'champion' trees would you wager to guess were never measured except by a buckers tape?

I'm probably just a bit grumpy this morning.

That's a nice fir alright. A few hundred years to reach that size, I'd suspect. There's second-growth redwoods in Navarro flats, only 150 years old, that can match the stature of that fir and a few could exceed it. But then redwoods grow like bamboo on the flats, too.

Its true, the more I thought about it, leaving one tree is basically ridiculous. Hey, great they saved the 2nd tallest tree there but, the way it looks there by itself pretty much screams about the stupidity of it all.

I say thank goodness for the radical tree huggers who thru their efforts and publicity manage to save some chucks of old growth. Hey, if it turns out we desperately need the lumber out of those trees in the future, they'll still be there, we can cut em down in a few months when that time comes. But if we realize we need those old growth trees for the greater good of mankind beyond their worth in 2x4s, then, bada boom, we got em :thumbup:

The biggest Redwood ever cut was measured to about 1800 cubic meters of wood, by the scaler.
Somewhere up in Klamath, I think.

Jerry, a little help would be nice here, since you know more about the redwoods than I could ever aspire to.:)

Jim, frig the environment, really.

What is more pleasant for us human being and other critters: A grove of old trees or a bunch of sprouts.

Don't walk down the old Ronald Reagan:" If you've seen one Redwood tree, You've seen them all road"

Or we might just name the next "Ronald Reagan memorial Grove" for you.

I gotta seriously disagree with that.

Sorry.

So would a lot of ladies.

Haha! No problem guys.

Just wondering. Yes, super big trees are neat to look at, I was just wondering how useful they are. I guess they are like art?

I am all for saving them, that was not the intent of the question. I was just thinking that all the other trees that are not as super duper as the monsters might be useful too.

Read my post again, Dude.

I lead out with " frig the environment"!

How does that make me an environmenter?

One with a big saw, BTW

Back