Watches...

I never worn a watch that lasted me over a few days without getting destroyed.

Most jobs I've had I was better off, or required, to have no jewelery for safety reasons anyway.

Butch,

The first link you posted took me to a Breitling Aviator's watch.

These watches are designed by Breitling for aviators. The functions included in these watches are designed for pilots who make blind 180 degree turns (one minute turns). They also keep track of the local times at any airport in the world. They keep the pilot on course when flying by calculated ground speed. Head winds will slow a plane. Tail winds will increase a plane's ground speed. Cross winds will send a plane off course. These watches are used to make calculations for all of these factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsNGMWI2b1Q

Joel

Butch,

When I was a little kid, my dad taught me how to use a slide rule. I had a calculator....one of the first made....but I truly enjoyed using the slide rule. I still have it and once in a while I take it out of the case and work with it.

These fancy aviator watches are used primarily for backup systems in the event of a power failure in the cockpit, but many experimental pilots use them as their primary navigation instruments. In this day and age of computers and fancy global positioning satellites, a good 'ol fashioned mechanical aviator's watch is nothing more than a security blanket in the event that there is a huge EMP event....ElectroMagnetic Pulse that knocks out all of our fancy computer gadgets.

Joel

Butch,

I place all of the blame on you for causing me to pull out my old aviation manual and spending the better part of a full day refreshing my mind on the skills needed to operate that aviator's chronograph. I had a blast doing it, but my wife thinks I'm nuts. I won't argue with her over that issue.

Joel

I've got 4 or 5 nice wrist watches and 2 nice pocket watches .I don't wear any of them .The type of work I do it would be safety hazard if I wore them .Besides that they need batteries .

Back