2016 Mr. Olympia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's a multimillionaire and set for life, all from picking stuff up then setting it down.

I could handle that.

It happens this weekend...

I'm rooting for my main man Phil Heath, defending his title for the 6th time.

Any other fans here?

Please - don't respond if you wanna hate.

Okay Butch ... not my cup of tea on the extreme body building. So not a fan of any body builders. I think our son in law has the max build I'd root for ... lol

Attachments

• Colt_12mdv.jpg
    Colt_12mdv.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 28
Natural contests do - you're called a natty bodybuilder.

The pros all use steroids and GH.

I still say it is a mind bending amount of discipline that few people are capable of.

Mario's pic shows the build of an athlete which is to maximize functionality for an activity vs a body builder that just plain maximizes with no regard for functionality.

Both are amazing, but like Mario, personally, I find respect in the functionality portion.

I lift and run regularly. I recently had a coworker who is an avid lifter poke fun at how I never get bigger. That is the difference between someone with bigorexia and no focus on function and an athlete. I focus on staying strong as I can with endurance (cardio) but staying under 170lbs (wing loading).

Did I mention how much I respect the discipline? I sure don't have it.

Saying all they do is lift stuff is like say all Warren Buffet did is simply buy and sell stuff.

I still say it is a mind bending amount of discipline that few people are capable of.

Mario's pic shows the build of an athlete which is to maximize functionality for an activity vs a body builder that just plain maximizes with no regard for functionality.

Both are amazing, but like Mario, personally, I find respect in the functionality portion.

You hit on a point I noticed when I went back to study the body builder photo. I asked myself it it were even possible to body-build hands and the face in the same way. Or, even separate. but I've almost never seen anybody do it. But the thought came to mind, that even if it were possible to "PUMP UP" hands to Michelin Man-like proportions, it may be hard for someone to type, eat etc.. It would cancel functionality.

If they could do the same to their head and face, I think it almost look alien. Is it even possible, and has anybody ever tried to body-build their face and head? Seems it would take unique discipline.

The Rock has strong eyebrows!

20160912_raw_rock--c0cf0515e3502d47ff29140e82257198.jpg

It would be ridiculously difficult. Just like calves are difficult due to them being an extremely dense muscle. The jaw and facial muscles are even denser.

Here's how I looked back in the day when I was on the gear.

Attachments

• roadblock-1.jpg
    roadblock-1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 25

That seems to be the part that Butch doesn't get.
We've had countless discussions because he insists that the super bodybuilders are fearsome fighters, simply because of their huge muscle mass, whereas I claim that if all you ever do is lift weights, that is all you are capaple of.

Here's how I looked back in the day when I was on the gear.

LOL ... funny how the liquify tool bent the siding and corner trip on the buildings.

So much POWER ... it even warps the the surrounding. Sort of like Neo in the Matrix.

I asked myself it it were even possible to body-build hands and the face in the same way.
Sure, you can build hand musculature, I guarantee all hardcore bodybuilders and powerlifters do as a matter of necessity. It might not be quite as visibly dramatic as in larger muscles in the rest of the body but if you shake hands with them you'll feel it both in the bulk in their palms and in their grip strength. Where you'll see it more visibly is in their forearms. Someone who has Popeye forearms won't have a weak grip.

I would imagine people who do tree work are going to have a lot of hand strength.

Back