Rigging rings..what to get?

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
I've been looking at peoples pics and videos of rigging rings and thinking I'd like to get me some.
I really only do smallish rigging compared to you lot, like 10" max...I do have a 9/16" bull rope but it rarely gets used, mostly use my old 1/2" climbing rope.

Any recommendations?

For 1/2" rig rope Id go with the Rock Exotica Omni 2.6 block...or ISC mini

I know you said rings...but Both these pulleys are mid line attachable, rings are not but if you dont use a steel rigging binner then it dont matter....I really like mid line attach and rigging binner for 1/2" line, just so fast!

Tools in the box,they have their place for sure. I would suggest retrievable ring n ring and a double head beast ring setup with the multi brummel loops. For starters lol

Just to try it out, I bought a small ring and a medium ring. One I spliced as a dead eye type and one as a loopie. Both on 1/2 " tenex TEC.
I kind of like them, fast if you are lowering a decent branch and the ground man does not need to use the porty because he has the little bit of friction they provide. Of course you have to preset them by climbing in how I spliced them as individual on separate slings. I still use my pulleys and blocks more. My pinto Rig the most I think. But anyway, I deal with a lot of large pieces.
Easy to splice Fiona.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've got a big ass blue ISC block, I never use it, I have a couple stainless steel pulleys for craning points, and a smallish old style arborist block...I like the look of the rigging rings, despite the fact they are not mid line attachable.
Things to think about when you have a gift certificate to Wesspur to spend...

For 1/2" rig rope Id go with the Rock Exotica Omni 2.6 block...or ISC mini

I know you said rings...but Both these pulleys are mid line attachable, rings are not but if you dont use a steel rigging binner then it dont matter....I really like mid line attach and rigging binner for 1/2" line, just so fast!

My preference as well, we probably do 90% of our work with the ISC mini's.

I have a large ring on a dead eye, med ring on a loopie, and the mini ISC, the ISC gets about 75% of the work, and I rig small as well.

In answer to your original post Fiona I'm not sure what to suggest since I can't really picture what kind of trees/rigging you do. I do know that for me mid line attachable is rarely a benefit as I have the end of my rope in hand to start the process.

I do a lot of 1/2 inch line rigging and enjoy setting a high rigging point from the ground or in the tree and then being able to remotely retrieve it saving the climb back up. I also like the idea of more bend radius on rope of using the Triple Ring Sling. First got that in 3 foot version and it works for most crotches. (Sherrill has a five foot version I use on big trees/crotches.)

The other rigging sling that I think is useful a lot is a single ring on a long enough sling to set lower in a tree to redirect the line to a more preferable place for work or out of harms way. Most of the time a four foot sling will do that for me.

Hi Fiona,

Wesspur hasn't jumped on the rigging ring bandwagon in as big a way as some of the other suppliers. Cool thing is they do stock the All Gear versions on their website, and I know they used to stock the actual Antal versions as well.

Anyways, I think a single for use as a ground based redirect, like Merle said, would be nice, and also a little double "Ring and Ring" for use up top too. Between the two of them, with a groundie, you could lower a lot of smallish stuff without the need for a porty or a bollard.

IMG_20160330_095343429.jpg

11146293_833654976670445_8595112988022033088_n.jpg

Cheers 8)

Ya but if you get the double headed instead of a single it has more use's ,including being a redirect (they are awesome for this).
If getting a ring n ring why not have it retrievable?

You can make that double retrievable with a d-ring girth hitched near one of the rigging rings (with extra starter rope or something.) I'm sure other things besides a d-ring would work too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks gentlemen, indeed I think a smaller mid-line pulley is something to get, but I also like the concept of retrievable...hence the interest in rings. (sometimes the thought of climbing back up/around to get my rigging just leaves me tired...and I chuck it through a natural fork instead, but, needs must and sometimes the gear is necessary)
I have made some pulley based rigging retrievable in the past, but it wasn't always ideal...I think I mentioned somewhere I still have some gear stuck in a tree in Bermuda from about four years ago...sigh.
Thanks also for the pictures.
I'm tempted to sell the big block, but you know as soon as I do I'll need it.

Giorgio Fiora has some huge rings coming out I can't wait to get my hands on. Don't know if they will be available here in the US soon? Dont think it would be a good choice for you Fiona since your not rigging big. Sorry for slight derail

... I have been ring curious as they look good in the Vids , still putting off for now I guess (I did sell my big ISC though). Eventually I'd like to get at least a two ring rig , maybe a single ring for just above the GRCS to align line.

Back