Whats the new intro gun?

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
When I was growing up we learned to shoot with 22 cal rifles. Now 22 cal ammo is impossible to find so what are people teaching their kids with? My two oldest boys have been shooting their bb guns for a couple of years now and have been asking to try something bigger. I have a few hundred rounds of 22 but that will run out soon. I let them try my 410 and they loved that. I also let them shoot my 44 cal blackpowder revolver with about 10 grains of powder. My oldest son really likes that one but my second oldest gets bored because of how long it takes to load. I'm probably not going to get a new gun, but I was wondering what parents are teaching their kids on these days.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have been chatting on Facebook about this as well and it seems that 22 ammo is available everywhere...... Except where I shop :-P I must be looking at the wrong places. I guess I never thought to buy on the internet.

I always thought that getting a surplus rifle would be fun too. Unfortunately my gun cabinet is over full already.

I have couple of 9mm pistols that have 22 conversions. My son loves to shoot those, I also got him a 17 rifle, a savage and very accurate

They make gun safes every day. That will take care of the over full issue. .22 is available here, but $50-60 a brick.:O HMR is awesome, but too spendy for plinking. I'm having a blast with air rifles. They can be very accurate. Springers are a challenge, but once you master one, a powder gun is much easier. You could get a Gamo .22@975 fps or so and have a potent small game gun, if you are thinking hunting. The .177 at higher velocities would also be fun. $11 for 500 pellets is also easy on the wallet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I bought another gun safe I'd have to make sure it was the largest one available because that's where I'd be sleeping after my wife saw it.

.22 is everywhere here again. Last I seen $22 to $35 a brick

Shop around and stock up. I'm not getting caught low on .22 this time. Sucked when me and my son wanted to plink.

We are doing the 9mm 7.62x39 and .22 for most of our cheaper plinking. Shotgun we do the 12ga and low brass. Get them into shooting clays for fun too.

Gone are the days of grabbing a box of .22 LR (50-count) for 97 cents and heading out for a morning of plinking. I spent many Saturday mornings with my grandfather at a nearby gravel pit, learning to shoot rifle and revolver. I hope to do the same with my grandkids one day, though I'm having to hoard now to be able to do it one day...

The last time I got .22 for $0.97/box was in about '91. I bought every bit they had, Federal Lightning. Shot fair in my Ruger. Still have a few boxes.

When I was a kid,60's 22 shorts were 50 cents,longs 60,LR hollow points 75 cents.Box of 50 .12 gauge box of 20,Super X no less,about 3 bucks.Low brass 2 bucks.

Bricks, if you find them at $50.00 here in CA, is considered cheap these days.
Go get a Ruger American bolt action in .223 and find a decent scope you wont be sad about if the kids drop the rifle. Redfield scope is good for the money. Not horrible recoil on that rifle caliber and you can hunt with it. Ammo is plentiful. 5 round mag. probably won't put you out more than 600.00.
JM2C

My son-in-law picked me up a couple 1000-round bricks of .22 LR a few weeks ago. $105 I think it was for the two.

I just got a Ruger Impact pellet rifle at Wal-Mart. $140.00 pretty impressed for such a cheap gun. My next pellet rifle will probably be an FX Impact .25. I'll have to win the lottery first. Gun is $1800, ATN X-SIGHT 2 is $699 Atlas bipod is $300.:/:

Did you watch the YouTubes for the Impact? Ted's Holdover or AirarmshuntingSA are the ones to watch.

I just got a Ruger Impact pellet rifle at Wal-Mart. $140.00 pretty impressed for such a cheap gun. My next pellet rifle will probably be an FX Impact .25. I'll have to win the lottery first. Gun is $1800, ATN X-SIGHT 2 is $699 Atlas bipod is $300.:/:

My pellet gun is the Benjamin trail NP. I've been underwhelmed at its performance. It's good for slightly wounding things or just annoying things a bit it would seem. I like plinking off pellets though, I have it and a can of pellets beside the door. My go to bird scarer.

I havent seen those vids, but watch a lot vids from the UK. I had no idea that air rifles were such a thing now.

I will check them out Dave.

Dad is thinking of buying an AR. Not because he wants one to shoot, he wants one because Obama dosent like them.

I might buy an M1A.

Airguns are huge in the UK because anything over 12 ft/ lbs requires insurance, written permission from a landowner, an FAC, and good reason to own the gun.

When I was growing up we learned to shoot with 22 cal rifles. Now 22 cal ammo is impossible to find so what are people teaching their kids with?

Use a 22 but teach them with a single shot. I see dads at the range all the time trying to teach their kids how to shoot but all they're doing is burning piles of ammo without learning anything. Use a one banger and teach them the fundamentals of marksmanship. It's not that the fundamentals can't be taught with a semi-auto, it's just that if ammo is limited, a single shot slows things way down for an excited kid that just wants to yank the trigger.

I was taught to shoot with my grandmother's Remington 33 single shot .22. I've been researching it lately, and found out it was Remington's first bolt action rifle, and a take down, as well.

Back