Dirt filled dead guy returned to tree gods.

Love the palming of the wedge during the cut. Kinda like givin' the little guy a pat on the back for a job well done. Till he split.

Couldn't see on my phone, how was the rope being pulled?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It should have been pulled with a GRCS or winch, but we used a Massdam puller with a 3-1 mechanical advantage built into it. I set the rigging, cut a notch, preloaded the rigging, and then did the back cut. I chased the back cut with a wedge to help incase the rope failed. The red headed wedge popped out when I got the tree over center, but then caught some wind and sat back down pretty hard. Tree was felled against a back lean and a side lean into the wind.

From my arm chair view, I would have only used my maasdam rope puller, and plunged a cut to stack my cheap wedges so they wouldn't spit out. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought about a direct pull and a punch of wedges, but the side lean concerned me because I had nowhere to set a guy line to help support it, and therefore would be leaving more hold wood than normal. Extra hold wood combined with the bad back lean led me to the 3-1 and just a chase wedge since I knew I wouldn't be wedging over center. Then right at the end I tried to get fancy and wedge it over with just the one wedge and it spit it right back out at me.

Back