Post Hermine Tree Service Challenges

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
The town I live in was directly impacted by Hermine. We still don't have power at my residence near the coast. We care for nearly 1000 injured and orphaned wild animals a year and had nearly a hundred pour in after the storm. We need power to properly clean and care for the animals.

Thousands of trees came down, hundreds over lines. Wakulla County and Leon County were almost completely without power initially. Duke Energy contracted with several companies to help promptly restore power to their customers. We saw the trucks funneling in from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, all over the south east. The other power company, Talquin, seems to have considerably less resources at their disposal and they are our power provider. We have no other choice due to the remote location.

Thankfully our location had almost no tree damage and the lines from where power was restored days ago all the way to our house have been clear. However, the company won't turn the power back on until a lineman inspects the full length. We saw the lineman sitting in his truck on Monday, waiting on two guys from Wolf Tree Service in Tennessee. They spent 6hrs butchering 10 trees at a neighbors and dropped 5 large limbs onto their bucket truck. Eventually they moved on and the lineman started inspecting. Yesterday morning he showed up to say our section was clear minus one branch which could fall later so we should have had power right after that was cleared. The same Wolf guys showed up, parked under the branch, sat on their bumper, and smoked cigarettes for 3hrs. Then they left, still no power.

Before I go and complain to Wolf I want to find out if this is a regular issue for them or if they normally hire quality workers. It's a two man crew with a bucket truck. They were rigging some heavy stuff with cheap 3 strand that looked about 3/8" diameter and didn't seem to understand tree work too well when I watched them at the neighbor's house. He even had his helmet knocked off while in the bucket. Oh, and they used the bucket truck like a bulldozer to dive into the brush and over the branches. when they finished they left her driveaway blocked and had no intention of chipping things.

You guys know the company, their employees, or their reputation? I wasn't asking for free/extra service, just that they do the job they are being paid for. It's hot and hard to pull 16hr days in Florida so I understand taking breaks but 3hr smoke breaks are a little excessive.

Hey North Woods, I live in Franklin County just west of ya. As you know we got spared but y'all got smashed. I worked for the power company over here (Duke now) for too many years and guided tree crews and contractors after a bunch of hurricanes. Some of the crews were good, some not that much. I've had experience with Wolf and the ones I worked with were pretty good. The problem is, there are a ton of crews in here right now scattered everywhere and it's easy for some to hide. Sadly, without supervision, some people are just not go-getters. Stinks to be on Talquin, as you say, they have limited resources but restoration with Duke is complete except for a handful of customers on Dog Island so they are cutting contractors and tree crews loose. Maybe they'll head your way. I'd aggravate 'em, but not too much. Having been on the restoration side, sometimes the squeakiest wheel gets put on the bottom of the stack:D. I have a good friend in Wakulla on Talquin and he's in the same boat. I told him I can still climb power poles, pull and splice wire and re-fuse his branch line. He still works for Duke so he said we'd better not.

3 hour smoke breaks. Consider the death penalty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey North Woods, I live in Franklin County just west of ya. As you know we got spared but y'all got smashed. I worked for the power company over here (Duke now) for too many years and guided tree crews and contractors after a bunch of hurricanes. Some of the crews were good, some not that much. I've had experience with Wolf and the ones I worked with were pretty good. The problem is, there are a ton of crews in here right now scattered everywhere and it's easy for some to hide. Sadly, without supervision, some people are just not go-getters. Stinks to be on Talquin, as you say, they have limited resources but restoration with Duke is complete except for a handful of customers on Dog Island so they are cutting contractors and tree crews loose. Maybe they'll head your way. I'd aggravate 'em, but not too much. Having been on the restoration side, sometimes the squeakiest wheel gets put on the bottom of the stack:D. I have a good friend in Wakulla on Talquin and he's in the same boat. I told him I can still climb power poles, pull and splice wire and re-fuse his branch line. He still works for Duke so he said we'd better not.

We got our power back 166-167hrs after is went out. some of Wakulla is still out, a full week later, based on what I'm hearing from residents. There was a lot to repair, just wish both power companies would have worked together better. Duke was 100% up and Talquin was still 56% down at one point. Considering the close proximity of the 2 services it would have made sense to work together.

A metaphor really , after Irene here it was F'n amazing what happened when regular people , big and small companies , the state , and first responders all worked together. A few short weeks later people went back to not working together.

Back