Good gear, Shit gear?

RLfailuer

Treehouser
Wanted to start this in Reg's "message to young climbers" thread, but felt it should probably be it's own post.

I'm a bit outside of the norm when it comes to tree work. Came straight from being a salesman at a Kubota/John Deere/Stihl dealer. Did that for a bit over a year, in which time I fell in love with chainsaws, then fell in love with watching climbers, to climbing now, and love every minute, even the truly shitty jobs because I know that job will be over soon, and you never know how awesome the next one may be.

Already getting off topic. So the question I'd like to ask is, what gear do you feel is worth my money? We're a pretty small company "I'm assuming, chipper truck, dump truck, bucket truck, 2 chippers, 2 bobcats", the owner used to climb, but is getting up there in age and hasn't kept up with the times as far as equipment goes. Only one other climber, who is great, but isn't really passionate about it, he's been climbing since he was 13 "his father does tree work" and to him it's just a job and he also doesn't really keep up with new techniques/technology. For my gear advice, I usually turn to the internet, but there isn't really a dedicated thread to telling what gear is worth my time/money, and what gear isn't.

As of right now, my personal gear consists of.
-petzl sequoia harness
-120' arbormaster rope
-120' tachyon rope
-150' 9/16 rigging rope
-stihl ms201t c-m
-silky zubat handsaw
-silky zubat stick saw
-stein x2 spurs "still use bosses old bashlins though, more comfy"
-arbpro clip'n'step boots
-timberland logger boots
-split tail climbing system
-adjustable cambium saver for DRT climbing
-petzl rig
-petzl hand ascender
-singling tree rope wrench "just got, like more than climbing with the rig"
-2-in-1 lanyard
-couple of micropulleys
-numerous assorted biners
-assortment of dyneema loops, varying sizes
-companies port-a-wrap, arborist block, rigging pulleys, fiddle blocks

Is there a glaring omission in my kit that you personally could not live without? What do I currently have that you would never purchase? I live in the midwest, St. Louis, generally the biggest trees I climb I'm about 60' up. Just want to be told specifically what gear to stay away from, don't really have a mentor is that aspect of the job.

Also, just an fyi, I live a very minimalist lifestyle, and am very anti-materialistic in all things, with the exception of tree gear. For some reason it just rubs me the right way.

maasdam rope puller with at least 150ft of 3 strand rope, large sling and some connectors, I like shackles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, maasdam would be nice, just been using the fiddleblocks so far and have worked well for me, only 5:1 I think though. Sure I'll run into a situation where I'll need one, and the company has a bunch of slings/shackles/etc, small through big stuff for crane use. Thanks for the reply, will definitely add a puller to my HOLY frig NEW GEAR I'M SO EXCITED!! list of things to pick up.

RLFailuer,

I'm a rigging nut. Most of my money has been spent on rigging gear up to now. My climbing gear was something I got by with for a long time, mainly because I was able to get into the tree and get the job done.

My rigging gear is up to par now. I've finally got everything I need and want. So...it's on to improving the climbing gear.

A few things I think you'd truly enjoy and appreciate on a daily basis.

Rig and Ring Large....retrievable rigging point.
T-Rex adjustable Ring sling. Awesome redirect tool when rigging into the GRCS......but useful for many things.
The ART lanyard positioner with swivel. What a difference! I can't even describe how much I love that thing.
My TreeMotion saddle is also a huge improvement......but I don't know if it would be any better than what you've got.

I have a few things that I've purchased that I feel were a waste of time and money, but nothing too expensive. I love my Samson Vortex climbing rope, but its diameter is too large to make it work well with the friction savers I own. I've gone back to using the tried and true Safety Blue, due to the smaller diameter. which works great with the friction savers.

The very best tool I own is my little Kubota B2920 tractor. I also like my old Bandit 200+ 12" chipper. And one more thing....the Husqvarna 562XP. Just love that saw.

Joel

You have good tools, enough to do most any job. Are your knowledge and skills on that level? Get to know that RW and faze out your dependency on DdRT. There is much more to tree work than removals. Study all aspects of trees to understand what can and cannot be done.

I'd love a GRCS, don't really have a couple grand to spend on something like that right now though, lol. Am seriously looking at the ART lanyard Candoarms recommended though, I'm getting really tired of always having to use two hands to adjust my current one, which is a basic 2-in-1 with a prusik.

RLFailuer,

I hesitated to buy the the ART lanyard positioner. I have to give credit to a fellow arborist in Fargo (Travis Hagen) for leaning on me long enough to force me to finally break down. One of the best purchases I've ever made. Maybe the best ever. You will love it or your money back. I'll buy it from you at full price if you don't like it. Enough said.

Joel

I'd say my skills are average. As I've only been climbing full time for maybe 1 1/2 months, and only 4 months in tree service altogether. My knowledge needs quite a bit of work. I've picked up a membership to the ISA and have been working through their online CEU courses, even though I'm not even eligible to take the test for another 2 1/2 years. Much of it though is learned through experience over time, which I don't have much of in the trees. I'm generally overly cautious in the canopy, at 33 and a vet, I'm in no rush to spend time in the hospital. Take my time when setting up my rigging, haven't yet had any incidents with damaged property or groundsman running for cover. I don't where spurs in non-removals. Have studied the different cut types and which to use in certain situations, though not by any means an expert. I think what entices me about the job in general, is that every tree is just like a puzzle, and with the tools in hand you've got to be able to solve it. I've always been a puzzle guy, and the feeling I get at the end of the day when the puzzle has been successfully completed is amazing. Watching some of the work that Lawrence Shultz did when he worked in New York is what I watch for inspiration. Super technical, with zero room to work in, situations in which other climbers wouldn't even attempt. I love the difficult. I'm not there yet, but I will be.

EDIT: I did dent up a fence pretty bad helping out a neighbor of mine, but it was before I was actually even working as a climber, so I don't count that =)
https://youtu.be/7xTcp4JlXQc

RLFailuer,

Just from your last message I can tell that you'll turn out to be a good one. All a guy has to do is CARE about his job and he'll become an expert in it. Yes....it takes time, but time goes by so damned fast. Learn all you can every day. Study the knots. Study force vectors. Watch the Arborpod videos on YouTube. Study your ISA Certification guide.

Joel

Hiya, your gear list looks pretty good for where you are at right now.
If you are doing much pruning, in my opinion you need two more tools: HAVE to have a Fiskars extendable pruning stick. For me it is on par with the Zubat for an indispensable hand tool.
For another chainsaw, look hard at a Stihl 150t...we have a whole thread on it in Chainsaw Forum, FABULOUS saw (I'm allowed to say that, I'm a girl)

In your studies do have a look at SRT climbing, its a game changer. I got into it solely by on-line conversations and watching the odd video, figuring out which device I liked best (the Hitch Hiker) and then trying it, adjusting it and now its my go-to method.

I also liken a job in the trees to a puzzle, I call it 'de-constructing' the puzzle, deciding which pieces to take out in which order to achieve the goal, with the added three dimension aspect of it!
Your approach of not rushing and being mindful of staying out of hospital is excellent! Plenty of time to get faster when you have more experience.

Welcome to the tribe :)

Straight forward kit.
Now, a man can not have enough loop runners... especially the two smallest sizes Bailey's has already done up in color scheme to size. I keep about 24 of each. But I do A LOT of speed and zip lining. Handy for lowering multiple limbs as well.
Maasdam continuous puller as previous stated. BUT... Buy 200 feet of 1/2 3 strand, cut off 50 feet. Use that in the puller and just prussic or rope grab the 150 feet off the end of the 50. That way, you don't have to deal with a 150 feet of rope every time you use the puller, only 50 in the kit. You also, with a prussic or rope grab, are able to use that 50 feet of rope on other tag lines for pulling. Keeps the kit more compact. ANd keeps that 150 foot hank of rope free in case you just need it for something else. Learn how to make a prussic from double sliding fishermans knots and keep a loose hank of cordage in your bag. Personally, I keep about 20 feet handy, both in the rigging bag (3/8ths) and the climbing bag (5/16THS).
Man can never have enough rope.
Biners. I prefer steel screw lock for rigging. 50kn rated. Pick what you like and know and keep a good stock .... I do some good sized jobs, probably have about 50 of the things about.

Thanks for the advice guys, and gals. Will absolutely be getting some hand pruners, something I've known that I needed for awhile, always seems to slip my mind though when I'm on treestuff looking at other shinies. Also for the advice on the the maasdam, got some other stuff to pick up first, definitely on the list though, I'm not really doing the big monster trees yet, so I've some time before I see one being necessary in the future. Also, I've been climbing SRT for a couple weeks now, started with the petzl rig, but really didn't like going limbwalking with it as you've got to use both hands for your rig. Just got a rope wrench in last friday, done a couple of climbs with it, and love it. Having that other hand free makes a world of difference, the steady friction is amazing as well, nothing like redirecting DRT and never knowing when your going to get when you pull on your hitch. >.<

Like Joel was saying, ART Positioner for lanyard adjustment, may seem alot to throw down but you'll never look back. A couple grand for a GRCS may seem a lot aswell but it will shave hours off many jobs- though its not up to you to buy one that's up to the boss

I love how we don't talk gear much, and then BOOM! Gear thread! haha

Get a Haas and foot ascender for rope walking.

Maybe a big shot and assorted weights and lines?

I'd like to see a Hitch Climber pulley in that list too. . .

Good kit overall.

.....Get a Haas and foot ascender for rope walking.....

I will second this. The Haas Velox and a CT foot ascender used in conjunction with a chest harness to advance your RW makes going up a rope ridiculously easy.

Am going to be getting a hitch climber pulley, just spent my gear allotment already last paycheck, might be this coming one. Forgot to mention I do have a foot ascender I've been using. First couple RW climbs I was using hand ascender tied into my clip'n'step, foot ascender on other food, and neck tether pulling up my system. With my arbormaster rope though, I've found it thick enough to grip and on climbs under 40 or so feet found it easier/faster to just use the foot ascender, and pull myself up gripping the rope. I need to get a chest harness, don't have one yet, may try and go super ghetto, but safer, and use a dyneema loop around the shoulders tied into my hand ascender as an impromptu chest harness till I get one.

What about gear to stay away from? That is what really made me think watching Regs last video. Going through the catalogs, and websites, every new piece of gear that comes out is HOLY frig AMAZING, YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THIS!!! Personally, so far the only thing I've gotten that I've been unhappy with were my X2 spurs, not comfy at all in the tree for extended periods, and I find the adjustment eyelets spaced out too far to get a good adjustment on the straps. Also not a fan of learning that they're a licensed product from climb right, should have done more research beforehand and I would have likely gone with the geckos.

Back