Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Good gear, Shit gear?

I like the continous pull, I'll find myself in need of a good 30ft pull on a severly back leaning manitoba maple every so often.
    Peter

Have small puller w long line , medium like Holmen's ( w Steel Cable as they started selling them w Amsteel just after I bought) , and the Five Ton Tirfor. MA for every situation.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

I've had one of those Wyeth-Scott pullers for years, the 2 ton model. They say two or the three ton model because you can double back the line onto the device to double the pulling capacity and get that. Makes for a slow pull and halves the line length. It works quite good, but since getting a Tirfor, the only thing I've used the other puller for was to yank some bamboo roots because I didn't want to get the Tirfor cable muddied up

A Tirfor is the way to go if you are going to be pulling for the next ten or twenty years or so. If you have both type pullers, the preference will explain itself. Not knocking the Wyeth-Scott, it's a good puller.and certainly less costly if buying new. It's just that the take up and release ease and precision is way superior on the Tirfors. Being able to pull the line through the device by hand until up to tension is also a helpful feature.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Yes, there's a quick release on that puller, but with tension on it so comes the backlash tangle often. The only way i can figure to release with a lot of tension it it is to back off slow for awhile, and that is a bit of a fiddle and time consuming engaging and disengaging using both hands to pull the handle and release the catch again and again. As I said, I relied on the Wyeth for years. Comparing the one puller to the other is like apples and oranges. They both work, and especially for occasional jobs either is fine. My recommendation is for long term use where the puller is a regularly needed tool...or you just want to make life easier..

Not looking to argue about it, just offering specifics for someone looking to buy a puller and substantiating the higher price on one. I wish I had known those details when in the market for one myself.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raj View Post
    Good idea from Stephen. I've usually set a separate rigging line in the tree and just connect it to the maasdam rope, setting the length to suit, but I'm no production climber.
    The other thing about that method is that you can then use a p orty to secure the tail of the pull rope if you need to reset the pull, add mechanical advantage to the pull, or use it as a guy.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

And you don't have to pry knots out of your ropes.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Jay , the Tirfor is the KING of all Come Alongs! Hale the KING , Pull the Tree!

Oh damn 800ft lb torque!? Imma need a link Willard... lol

TreeHouser

RL, I'm like u I don't have much but I make shit happen when I get a side job... I'm no production Climber either but I'm not slow. I'm steady. Buy u a cool vest I got some me one. MB talked about it a lot so I said fuk it. I Havery the conceal able one. It's smaller then the normal ones.

Beast of a truck Willard,friggn excellent man. 👍I like the under seat storage with that woofer,wish i had somthing like that in mine