The Tree ID Thread

"The bark, leaves and flowers of this species are poisonous to humans and livestock, and it is also known to cause contact dermatitis in humans."

That is a quote from the previously linked article. It makes me wonder if shredding it up and putting small pieces of it into the air could cause a problem for the person doing the chipping.

We did okay last time 6 months ago with 2 of them. This one is about 3x bigger, but no problems so far --- and I faced the brunt of the dust, grinding the powdery stump (just getting home)! I was far more worried about chipping the poison ivy the day before -- not wanting it to get pulverized urushiol in my lungs!

Just a curiosity -- I noticed this (smaller) tree while walking by in a park, never have encountered it before. Also, our foreman couldn't ID it either, we've never worked on one. Obviously seems to be a nut tree, and my guess was something in the pecan family:
View attachment 87296View attachment 87297
Okay, we're revisiting this one. I actually got to drop & cut up one of these on Thursday on the City right of way and we saved the log for milling. It is for sure not a chestnut -- it is a saw tooth oak, Quercus acutissima.

What is this? Very flat kinda stiff leaves laerger and with more thorns than I'm used to seeing on similar plants around here.

DSC00038 (1280x895).jpg

Out here, that would resemble Oregon grape, Mahonia aquifolium, or also the Mahonia nervosa which is similar but shorter.

What is this? It has a similar leaf pattern as walnut or hickory, I forgot to take a pic of it. The wood I at first thought definitely wasn't oak since it didn't have the obvious lines radiating out, but I looked closer and could definitely see them. The bark is pretty smooth with somewhat oak like patterns, but nothing that stands out to me as oak or hickory. Definitely a heavy hard wood, kind of yellowish similar to pine.

20190718_111148 (1280x1013).jpg

20190718_111155 (1280x960).jpg

20190718_111203 (1280x960).jpg

The color changes in the growth rings make me think, Castaneum sativa, so does the bark and the general look of the wood.
But it is damned hard to identify a tree where there are no leaves or buds to look at.

Hey all, got a removal request for an interesting one. Homeowner believes its some sort of Chinese tree. I can't seem to track it own. Tree is at least 90' tall, and all the limbs droop significantly. Lowest limb is about 60' up, so I zoomed in the best I could on my phone for these photos of the leaves/flowers. Any ideas?
IMG_20200515_122727.jpg IMG_20200515_122752.jpg IMG_20200515_123012.jpg

Last edited:
I think I might have seen one on a job a couple weeks ago. I didn't know what it was. Does it look dead and crusty, yet has leaves popping out?

I found a hickory nut and a walnut below my tree. I'm not great at IDing trees, but the tree looked like neither to me.

I'd love to know what that one is.

Some kind of oak in #83 imo

Update on the tree above; got some closer leaf shots w/the wife's iPhone (she didn't recognize it). As described above, limbs are black/silvery, looking almost dead, and bark furrows like an oak.

IMG_20200523_162503.jpg

Bump
@cory @stig

Neighbor indicates her ex-husband (owns a nursery) id'd it years ago as a Tree of Heaven. It must be some sub-speies or hybrid, as the bark does not match up w/any live trees or pics I've seen before. Big nasty sucker that I'm 2/3 the way through removing.

Gymnocladus dioicus. Fruit would be a thick leathery Pod with 4 or 5 large beans. They have the bipinnately compound leaves 2-3 feet long, real rough bark.

If it really stinks, it could be TOH.

Tree of heaven doesn't get very big, afaik.

TOH is also mostly water. a small block is pretty heavy and as I said before, the leaves, wood and flowers just plain stink.

Bump
@stig @Underwor

So, I finished this tree, but now neighbors want me to do little brother that sprouted 20 feet away. See attached pictures of wood core and branch w/leaves and flowers. There was a distinct lemon smell from the wood when cutting it. Heavy as snot due to water retention. Wood core would be almost cherry wood red when cut, and would dry to this color 4+ hours later:
IMG_20200606_201221988.jpg IMG_20200607_131259573_HDR.jpg

Back