What's your job and why?

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 157
  • Views 9K
Carp gets served here, mostly during special occasions. Pretty tasty sweet in a soup they do, but man is it bony.

I jst kill it its an invassive up here the asians seem to enjoy so if someone wants it i give it away if not it becomes eagle food

As a kid, when I caught a carp, my family would bake it and de-bone it. Chill, add mayo a spices to make like tuna sandwich. Pickles in it and such. It was ok.

I've eaten plenty of sucker fish we catch with gill nets in a S. GA swamp....scale them, gash them (make many small cuts along the sides) and deep fry. Very tasty..great with cheese grits, hush puppies, coleslaw, sweet tea, chocolate cake...etc.

We used to have a family get together called "Suckerfest" ... some info about it in this thread...and a few others:

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...ment&p=642578&highlight=suckerfest#post642578

Very good Gary.

I would say you Southern fellers are a bit more adept at making a fish taste good than us Northern types.

Dad went through the "fish Fridays" as a Catholic kid. If all you caught was a sucker, that's what you ate.

Pan fried. Dad says it was horrible!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What I've never been able to understand is the acquired taste for "hard times food" meaning people who grew up that way but later gained access to fresh vegetables and meat. But still opted for a casserole?

Levi, people around here are that way to some extent. The things that grow wild that you can eat, the older generation is really keen on going and finding it. I've tried much of it, but it doesn't taste anything at all special to me, but I've never had to live when there wasn't much of anything else to eat.

Nothing wrong with a casserole, bit of beef skirt, some half decent ale, some home made beef stock, and some veggies and you've got a real tasty winter treat. Pop some dumplings on top half an hour before the end, one of my all time favourite winter meals.

What I've never been able to understand is the acquired taste for "hard times food" meaning people who grew up that way but later gained access to fresh vegetables and meat. But still opted for a casserole?

When I was a landscaper I worked for a South African couple. When they found out I lived in my families dairy farm, they asked for some raw milk. She put her half in the fridge, he put his on the deck to spoil. He grew up on spoiled milk and meat. The funny thing was he at one time owned the largest department store chain in the world. A billionaire many times over.

Sounds like a large polytunnel will be just the thing for you, Jim.

I'll post a bunch of pictures when I get my new one, maybe turn you on to trying one out.

I have been thinking about it.

At the last cover crop tour I was on there was a fellow there that I knew. He lives in Missoula now and helps people set up all sorts of poly tunnels.

He gave me his info, might look into it.

I would still like to see your pictures though.

Curdled milk is a delicacy.

Had some for breakfast in the Czech republic, with local honey, last weekend.

T'was excellent:)

Buttermilk is what is left over, when you've churned butter.
Usually has little globules of butter floating in it.
Ice cold, it is real good.

There is a difference between "sweet" and "sour" butter milk, though.

In some countries, like here, you let the cream go a little sour before churning, that gives a better taste to the butter milk IMO.

Nasty,that's all they had to offer in romania while there. Come on don't gotta go dragging 'casseroles' through the mud!! Mmmm mmm yumm.

Back