Message For young climbers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should add. Wasn't laughing at his losing stuff....more his obsessiveness.

Tree work is like sex in that it can be a truly wonderful experience or it can be all about the money.

Ed Hobbs gave me some great advice when I first started working. He said to never forget that when you work for money, you are trading hours of your life. Don't trade your life away, just for the money.

Sage advice Dave, from a man who really knew what the hell he was talking about when it came to tree work and life in general. One of my heroes, whom I wish the younger generation had a clue as to who he was...and still is. I would have been privileged to have worked under you and Ed back when I was a greenhorn.

Reg, ignore my comment, I was merely drunk and your negativity reminds me of how Sherrill leaves me feeling. Nothing sinister.

Reg, ignore my comment, I was merely drunk and your negativity reminds me of how Sherrill leaves me feeling. Nothing sinister.

I just received a new Sherrill Sept flyer and on pg 1 is their new "SENA Tufftalk Bluetooth Communication & Intercom System." After knowing what happened to you Paul, it really friggin' pisses me off to no end. Believe me my friend, if I could still purchase your helmet systems in the future, you would get all my business.

You got a shit ass "deal" from them, as well as SENA, IMO.

Fair enough. I was just about to start on another equally downbeat vid in a minute. Maybe give it a swerve mate :)

Hey, Paul. I was just wondering if there is a second company out there that makes wireless headsets that could be incorporated into a climbing helmet? Maybe you could become their exclusive US distributor, and market your product through your own website, or a different arb dealer whom you still have respect for. I'd bet that most folks would prefer to buy a product from the man who originated the idea, at least as far as the arb use of it is concerned, than from folks who are coming in late to the game, but have deeper pockets.

Just a thought. Maybe Bose, or some company like that?

Tim

Hey, Paul. I was just wondering if there is a second company out there that makes wireless headsets that could be incorporated into a climbing helmet?....

There are several, Tim. The Senas came over from the motorcycle helmet coms and there are several companies producing high quality units that are on a par with the Senas.

Please do Reg!

I'll second that! Reg, I may not always agree with 100% of your thoughts but I will watch every single one of this type of video, because so often the things you say need to be said.

Yeah not very many videos I would ever make it through 10 minutes or whatever of some dude talking. I've sat through quite a few of yours and haven't regretted a mi Ute of it.

Hey, Paul. I was just wondering if there is a second company out there that makes wireless headsets that could be incorporated into a climbing helmet? Maybe you could become their exclusive US distributor, and market your product through your own website, or a different arb dealer whom you still have respect for. I'd bet that most folks would prefer to buy a product from the man who originated the idea, at least as far as the arb use of it is concerned, than from folks who are coming in late to the game, but have deeper pockets.

Just a thought. Maybe Bose, or some company like that?

Tim

I have been researching other options but after a while you just get tired of breaking ground for Sherrill to steal your ideas.

Time to start a coop Paul.
Members join and fun'd stuff
Crowd source to get it going
Nobody needs Sherr-ill poisoning our industry
Now that Treestuff is gone with the beast

Thanks. Just uploading now. I'll put it in the climbers forum later.

Its hysterical that you live in a place completely uncontaminated by trees yet you love this chit8)

Time to start a coop Paul.
Members join and fun'd stuff
Crowd source to get it going
Not sure if that would actually work, but I love the idea. Put that Arborist-tribe mentality to work in a positive productive way perhaps. worked for REI, probably others

The grandeur of tree climbing as a career is fleeting.
Yes, every now and then you get someone watching who's jaw drops at what we do, but by and large, the general public see you doing a job and move on with the rest of their day.
Internal, personal satisfaction is the key to longevity, not fickle external inputs.
Maybe that IS why we come here, at least I know you lot understand some of my tribulations or triumphs, whatever scale they are.

Back