Message For young climbers

Lots of good posts here, there's definitely an element out there that views tree workers as chainsaw wielding garbage men, then you have the other end of the spectrum, what Reg was talking about, people that want to overplay the virtues of a climber, young guys that want to be tree gods. Nearly all equipment is relatively expensive in OZ so buying the bling hasn't caught on so much, however, there's no shortage of young guys that want straight into climbing without paying their dues on the ground, they plan to hang around long enough to get up there but end up butt hurt when they realize it will take longer than they first thought.

Tree work is a labor of love... If you don't love trees, you won't do the labor. If you don't do the labor, You never feel the love.

I know a guy (accomplished arborist/comp climber) that said "climbing is always going to be hard and awkward". I'll be honest and say I cuss a shitload whilst aloft and largely am happiest when getting back down, that's not to say the job doesn't have its "moments". That's what I tell people if they ask " it has its moments ".

Ha! You guys rock. I know what you mean, Chris, the glamour of the whole affair wears off rather quickly when you're picking up sticks all day.

I hear ya, Jay. I have recently reminded myself that labor in general is a purification of the soul and I love it, it's like a drug. Today I ran the alpine magnum for 4 straight hours and loved every minute of it.

Watched it.
I have no problem handing over fist fulls of cash that I worked my ass off for for new gear. It might work. If it does I'll buy more for the guys that work with me. If it doesn't I'll tell my mom and she'll call Sherrill tree and talk to their mom about how they sold me some bullshit. I won't get a refund but I can tell the guys I see around town on tree jobs that it is a huge piece of shit.

Innovation brought us X-rings, which I thought would suck but bought anyway and they changed how I do tree work.

The equipment thing aside , I believe Reg's main point about Vids with a hundred dynamic tripping work shots all put to music sends a distorted view of the actual job. Hard work isn't that glamorous , Ski Patrol suffers the same as many check in for glamour of being an "Alpine Hero" ... Fact is it's alot of hard work that's tough on you and your equipment.

Altissimus, are you saying that when you strip away all the top 40 hits and wicked cool camera angles that at the end of the day tree work is friggin' hard regardless of if you use a taut-line hitch or a zig-zag? Surely you don't mean to imply that spending thousands of dollars on gear won't cut out the requirement of having real world experience to be a good climber?

Reg sorry but I have to laugh, talked to Sherrill lately??

They leave me with that feeling every time

If you have something to say Paul, spit it out.

Reg, maybe I shouldn't be trying to speak for Paul, but my interpretation of what he said here relates to your statements that begin at around 8:55 in the video and run to about 9:10. You refer to people who are "dishonorable and agenda-driven", and "every word that comes out of their mouth..." and you trail off, not finishing the thought. I think this is the part of your video that Paul was referring to as relating to Sherrill. I don't think he meant any offense to you; just expressing his frustration regarding his dealings with Sherrill.

After reading his later post, I can understand why he feels the way he does.

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tim, the video was aimed at a portion of young climbers who forever contact me for advice. Many of them seem to think there's much glory and status involved with being a tree climber. I was specifically trying to dispute that ideology, and call bullshit on those who actively encourage it for their own gains. I could've given a ton of more practical and positive advice about tree climbing, but that wasn't the point. I posted it on the treehouse as an afterthought, as it's not particularly relative here, and unlikely to offend anyone. I made it with just youtube in mind. Paul's holding something back, I suspect. He should just spew it out.

Do you have some vids on you tube that wee never posted here, RC?

Man, If I see anybody working outside in the rain, soaked through, I think they're kind of getting screwed over by somebody.
I was thinking about this as we were working in the rain last week. We were soaked to the bone before the rain and it sure felt good! With temps and humidity at around a hundred, it was pretty refreshing. Lightning's a different story.

Reg, you may have missed it but Paul explained his thought behind the comments.

I dont see the relevance in asking me if I've personally spoke to Sherril, lately. That's a very direct question.

Its a manufacturing and retail culture, but I have a few individuals in mind too.

I cannot see the issue really, especially if you're going to be so vague about the targets of your "mutterings"

So some people big it up to make money....so what? Happens in every walk of life.

Training should be a positive progressive thing. But not if trainers are influencing legislation at their own gains.

If you have an example of this in mind then I think you should state it.

Mick, I'd love to mate. But would most likely end up in court. So, the best I can do is take a few swipes and hope it hits some targets.

Back