Monkey Beaver Saddle

Nice vid "Redwood Rico" :thumbup:

That looks like a very nice saddle....how does it compare to the TM?

Thanks

The MB back pad looks to be styled after the TreeMo so it feels best ridden down below the top of the hipbones, which I personally love. It is a heavier, more solid felling saddle with maybe a little more support? The MB gear attachment points seem to be like an old west coast setup with a ring for your chainsaw and a clip for your handsaw both on your right side. That is what I am use to, so that?s how I run it. I could see some not really digging it though. One of the virtues the TreeMo is the freedom to set it up to your liking. When I am wearing my TreeMo light I often forget I am even wearing a saddle. The MB definitely won't do that. They are both such fantastic saddles that a coin toss would probably be the easiest way to chose between the two.

It's not here yet and I need to check with a certain someone before I say what it is. I've got to fill out a waiver I guess.

Been rocking the monkey beaver for a few weeks now. I posted a more in depth review on treebuzz so I'll sum it up with this: It's a top notch work saddle and is exactly what I wanted in an upgrade from the onyx.
Nice work August, Joe, and the fine folks at new tribe.
KIMG0690.jpg

Haha, I'm not too bad I hope. Just a canopy anchor/friction saver, 2 spare biners, mini 8, and a loop runner.

Two loop runners/ sling, plus a biner does a lot more, IMO. I don't like to leave with 2/1. When everything looks hand-manageable from the ground, its easy to find that one with a funny torque built-in, or a bit too heavy. Slinging each side of the cut and clipping together saves your body on those that are a bit too much to be gentle on the shoulder/ wrist/ elbow.FWIW.

I just finished reading this whole thread start to finish. Thanks to Rico if he ever comes back, for keeping this thread alive and for his unique insights as an big-wood veteran climber and also as a Treemotion Light owner.

It sounds like everyone that has tried this saddle just loves it. It would be nice to hear again from some folks that gave an early review of the saddle after only owning it for a short while, to see their impressions of it over a longer time period.

Thanks for all the input here. I?ve shrunk weight wise and my mb medium doesn?t fit me right. Frustrates the hell out of me actually. I need to get a small . Thing falls off my ass. Hard to get it tight enough. Needs suspenders but I hate suspenders.

Aug

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was looking at the saddle again. I too need a small. The medium is as tight as I can get it and still a bit big. I donno if it has stretched out a bit or what cause I know I haven?t lost any weight.

I?m in between sizes on everything I wear and it?s a hell of a lot easier and more enjoyable to go up a size than down. Lol

Was looking at treestuff and they say all but the xl has been discontinued by the manufacturer.They still look available off new tribes site.

Any input?

I?d love the the exact saddle in a small and customized. Sub out the red material for like green and the bridge for the arbormaster Hawkeye.

I?m a sucker for the lime green stuff.

No problem.
They'll bring a copy on the market soon.

I hear our caring Sherrill axed this product in their ongoing support of the inovations....

No problem.
They'll bring a copy on the market soon.

You know, I tend to not be much of a militant individual. But if Sherrill actually has decided to stop carrying such a great product, made by a guy who has shared so much of himself with other tree folks, that might just do it for me. If it is true that Sherrill has chosen not to sell the Monkey Beaver saddle at the same time that it is still being manufactured by New Tribe, I would say that Sherrill just shot itself in the foot.

I would very much like to hear from August about whether or not his saddle is still being produced by New Tribe. Thanks in advance.

Tim

I would very much like to hear from August about whether or not his saddle is still being produced by New Tribe. Thanks in advance.

Tim

You could always call new tribe, they are nice folks

Back