hillside fir take down

RegC

TreeHouser
This fir take down was part of a recent job of about 12-14 trees. Approximately 165 ft tall, but easy work. The log was the hard part....at least, safely getting the bottom part down the hill on my own today. Lots of pics.

DSC04441 (1024x768).jpg DSC04450 (1024x768).jpg DSC04454 (1024x768).jpg DSC04456 (1024x768).jpg DSC04487 (1024x768).jpg DSC04494 (1024x768).jpg DSC04511 (1024x768).jpg DSC04512 (1024x768).jpg DSC04521 (1024x768).jpg DSC04522 (1024x768).jpg DSC04531 (1024x768).jpg

Interesting multiple tie off points to limit travel after it hits.

Yeah, that's always the scary part on steep ground, around here, Cory. I've broken at least two different lines from the force generated by the log after it hits.

Thanks for throwing these up Reg. That first one of the top going over is so very beautiful.

What is the plan for the wood?

Well done, thanks for sharing.

Interesting multiple tie off points to limit travel after it hits.

And multiple lines I would assume in case one breaks? I've done some steep side hill felling of firs like that before with a cabin below and used multiple lines in case one gave way and to 'share' the load. And like Jed I've had butt anchors snap, sort of one of those one is none, and two is one sort of scenarios.

Awesome pics Reg.

Seeing those pics sure brought back some memories of a few pucker jobs. Overkill rules over underkill nine times out of ten in treework it would seem.

Good comments re the tie offs. I usually use a chain on the butt, but the way RC has it, the top etc will stay in place plus the safety redundancy is there.

Reg, Do you ever leave branch stobs to help prevent the log from rolling? I always hate how they add surprises to rope work and limbs falling, but like how they can help stabilize a log when it hits the ground... Awesome work, and great pics!!!

Nice work, Jedi...!

I just called your house...

Roger: That phone sucks. (tons of static) If you ever want to reach me, my work phone # is (425) 766-1821. Call any time, day or night, sir. Now that we have to take the half-our lunch.... I know this sounds super crazy, but it seems like I have more time than I could ever figure out what to do with. :lol:

Brock: Not sure which side of the Cascades Cottage Grove is on, but if it's on this side... you would probably never even be asking that... The ground over here is generally WAY too soft, and, on a big Fir or whatever, the limbs are generally so small relative to the size and weight of the stem that they generally just shear off, puncture the lady's lawn, and do very little to stop the gravity-bound descent of the pig. On a stem like Reg's... sheesh... there ain't hardly even a limb for a hundred feet anyways, and even those are generally just a bunch of dead little stobs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all. The two bottom support lines got stretched pretty hard when the long landed....without two I wouldn't have risked it. The whole task of dealing with that tree was always going to be about that one moment. A good result then.

The third line didn't come into play until I needed to cut/separate the log. I got 2 x 35ft logs down the hill, while the rest stayed up on the hill. The logs took a tendency to roll rather than skid down the hill, causing the ropes to take several wraps where they were tied. But, I was still able to get them undone easy enough.

There were no limbs on the bottom half of tree, as jed had guessed....so I couldn't leave stubs. We did do similar on the cedar that had grown up through the fir to about 70ft i.e. left all the branches on the log sections to create a last obstacle of sorts in front of the house....just in case.

Text bomb...Monday.

Love the pics reg. BTW...total random thing there was a guy in the men's high jump in the Olympics who could have been your skinny twin....gotta find a picture.

Back