Ötzi

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Any of y'all into The Iceman, Oetzi,? He's the guy who died in the Austrian alps 5300 years ago and in 1991 his pretty well preserved body was discovered in melting ice. Ive always been fascinated by the whole story, part of which is the amazing amount scientists have been able to learn by studying him over these years. It seems like a new fact is uncovered every few years even after all this time of extremely close scientific examination.

They just figured out what the clothes he was found in were made out of.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...hat-was-Oetzi-the-Iceman-wearing-when-he-died

Thats pretty cool.

Glad to see he wore natural clothes, not synthetic.

All kidding aside, it neat to have a look into the past, I suppose someday they will find people like him in other places. Like Mt. Everest. Those lost there must be fully preserved.

Man we sure have it good today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad to see he wore natural clothes, not synthetic.

:lol:

Man we sure have it good today.

Aint that the truth!!!

How'd ya like to be grubbing around in the snowy alps over 5000 years ago wearing "shoes" insulated with straw...

Of course he was eating some nice wild game (Ibex) for his last meal.

Good link, Jay.

I wonder if the ancients might of had a policy about not stealing a dead man's clothes or his other possessions. I mean it appears that he was killed somewhere else and dumped in the ravine with the things he had with him.

I cannot figure out what's going on in the lives of the guys that work with me, let alone what somebody was doing 5000 years ago

You need you a big ol brown bearskin hat, Jim

I cannot figure out what's going on in the lives of the guys that work with me, let alone what somebody was doing 5000 years ago

All you need to do is analyze their DNA and the contents of their stomach, lungs, blood, hair, teeth, and study the contents of their pockets, and the possessions they carry with them, and note their tattoos and you'll pretty much know all there is to know about em ;)

On a similar note, they just DNA analysed the Egtved girl and found that she originated from the Black Forest in Southern Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egtved_Girl

Quite a surprice, since she has always been portrayed as the achetypal Danish girl.

IT is Ötzi BTW.

Thanks for correction :thumbup:

Indeed a fascinating find. The fact that he had tattoos at different acupuncture points is quite interesting. Also from what I remember, different tests done on his body came up with quite a wide range of his possible age at the time of death.

Actually I think they got it pegged at about 45 y. o., elderly.

Okay, maybe I was reading an old article, I seem to remember there being a bit of variance in the results.

It is incredible the ultra intense scientific analysis they've done and the results yielded. Seems highly likely there will be more big discoveries made with him.

True, like how they decided he must have been smelting copper due to the residue in his hair and finger nails.

That happened, right? Turns out my memory is not so trustworthy...

I'm pretty sure that is right.

It is incredible the ultra intense scientific analysis they've done and the results yielded. Seems highly likely there will be more big discoveries made with him.

That is the reason they stopped opening grave mounds here in the late 1800.
After doing a spree of discoveries, the archaeoligists realized that at the speed science was developing, they'd better leave most of the grave mounds for future scientists, since they would be able to do so much more with them.

I find that pretty incredible.

We have a few old mummies, too, but nowhere near as old as Ötzi

The two best known:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollund_Man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grauballe_Man

Those were the early days.
Once we had Christian priests to sacrifice, it really took off.:D

Back