old saws coming back home from my past

timbertramp

TreeHouser
A few years ago a buddy of mine and I teamed up and built a bunch of 395s and sold them so we could finance the builds for our personal saws (a could big bore 395s that are pretty quick) well he broke his leg and was forced to sell his saw. He's been broke up over it ever since. Well today I was working on a few saws after work and his saw that we built came across the bench. I ended up working a deal to repair a 372 in trade for it. Figure I'll freshen it up and surprise him with it. Amazing how the world turns sometimes

That will be a fine surprise for your bud.

How in the world can you recognize that saw as one you had years ago?

... Ron , owns the Husky shop here , had an old one come in. Either a 162 or an 81 I think , had a peculiar brake where someone had braised another one onto the top of the stock one. I noticed it and commented , Ron told me he recognized it as the one that cut him years ago. Pulled his shirt down to show some of the souvenirs. (I had a friend who lost a saw kicking back w well over a hundred stitches cut to the bone w hospital stay included.) Ron's scars made that look like a a little day hike. He kinda laughed about working on the saw really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
He actually got himself ordained and performed my wedding. Probably closer to him than I was with my real brother.

I can't remember the exact bore on it. A guy at our local Harley shop machines the head and piston
This was interesting. Raises a couple questions...
Could you check bore on it? fairly simle thru muffler mount.
Insert thin wood stick with piston down, mark, indert stick with piston up, mark, measure the differance.
What do they use for coating or sleeve inside?
Do they cast them self or someone do it for them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Magnus, what I had meant by him machining them was he does the ports and takes a little off the base to up compression. He does something to the top of piston to help the compression. And he permanently plugs the decompression hole after we've broke in the saw.

We ordered the kits online, they are from a company "hyway". Hlsproparts.com we've had good luck with them so far

I doubt it has anything to do with country.
Its more like marketing, build a name and then sell it or suck it dry.
There is good China stuff to... Most saws has china parts in them.

Better stuff cost more, simple really...

At least 3000 people are making Stihl parts in China. The Qingdao factory has like 40,000 square meters. I imagine some white guys are running around there too. It's not just a handful of coolies in a shed with no windows out behind a house.

Back