Second notch on a stem

Watching the video again it's not as big as I remembered but super pita none the less,that location it's beyond fookd and them trees there,iron barks,miserable mothers i tell ya...thick scrappy bark,particularly itchy sawdust compared to other eucs and they bleed somthing fierce,dark amber,thick,sticky pitch. Hate em,in my region they almost all been topped at one point or another...

Not the way i'd go, always and all ways trying to get the most strength etc.
Tree seems good, faces not that deep, large tree.
He's just walking 1 side up cutting faces w/o rotating around to back cut
then goes to other side on last one and comes down that side making backcuts trying to save time etc.

He's just walking 1 side up cutting faces w/o rotating around to back cut
then goes to other side on last one and comes down that side making backcuts trying to save time etc.
I can't see where he's really saving time or energy. While you're in one spot with the saw running, do all you can. Being efficient is the biggest time and energy saver. Dragging a big saw up the tree is much harder than letting your groundie pull it up and then working your way down.

I can't see where he's really saving time or energy. While you're in one spot with the saw running, do all you can. Being efficient is the biggest time and energy saver. Dragging a big saw up the tree is much harder than letting your groundie pull it up and then working your way down.

This.....
Let gravity work for you. Making notches while going up the tree .... not all that much of a time saver and why would I want to climb above several notches and then start hitting them with negative blocking loads. That move on another tree could cost him someday. No thanks.
Hella difficult job though, I'll give him that. Nasty tree to deal with and horrible location and terrain with targets.

Yah Ray pretty much nailed it I think. Seems like an increased risk, even if everything went fine, for no savings in effort.

Back