Wild Pig Problem

Wild boar is quite tasty and if they are chowing down on pecans I bet there is a market in high end spores. Iberico ham from Spain fetches a premium and they are raised on acorns.

That guy should be thinking how can I cash in on them to offset the damage.

You can hunt and trap them here 24/7/365. Hunters Helping the Hungry donate a lot of pork to feed the unfortunate. I've never had a problem giving away what I couldn't eat.

Wild boar is always on the menu here (only in the season though) They hunt with dogs, flushing them out to guns usually.

Farmers are often moaning about the hunters inability to keep numbers down.

I read recently of a wounded boar charging a hunter and damaging him pretty bad.

Here's one I snapped heading to a maize field one morning, I'm not sure if the electric fence deterred him.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 61
Dangerous animals I've been told by people that hunt them here.Will charge and slash with their tusks. A few months ago they found a farmer dead in his orchard, pig tracks all around the body. Excellent eating I've also been told.

Use all that meat I would say. Huge resource begging to be used.

There are a lot of them here in Missouri. We hunt for them here on the farm. They usually have their heads down rooting around in the creek or spring banks. Do a lot of damage. We have open season here like Ray said,365 days a year. Good eating, especially if you bury them and let them cook for half a day or longer. I usually give some away to local people but a lot of people turn their noses up at them too.

The closest one shot near me was 10 miles.....our DNR has a shoot on sight policy. They have also been banned from all game farms, got no problem with that. They need to be exterminated.

Lots of wild ground for a rural area here, no public access, they get established, were screwed.

Google earth 48414.......

Ed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My son's buddy hikes this area frequently. He spotted one in a park a few miles from here. The state should pay a bounty to exterminate them before they become established and are a huge problem.

Of course they have to do a study and by the time any action is taken..... too late. Same old, same old.

"Bounty" old school solution when properly chosen has high success rate. Seems East Coasters want it done with Bow near populus areas for Deer.

Yeah prob better off w Fed employees ... Bounty is really production based reward "piece work" if you will done by independents assuming all costs and risks for reward. Better send guys in on taxpayer expense including salary w benefits , paid training , equipment , insurance , and retirement. Even if they just kill a few .... Yep much better.

Cool pic Mick, those european hogs look a lot different than ours. We've had wild hogs here since the Spaniards came ashore. They can be aggravating at times, but when they show up, it's not the end of the world, it's the beginning of a big barbecue and some smoked sausage!
My sentiments on the coyotes Ed.

Interesting main article. Shooting is for sport. It does zero to control the population.

Other eradication type shooting that I engage in (center of mass shooting) is also just for sport. (yeah, I'm kinda touched).

If you want to nail them, the best way is with a cell phone activated, camera enabled trapping system. We knocked out 38 in one week with such a system. 21 went to a govt research facility. The rest I just shot and fed to the buzzards. Nothing gets wasted.

We also use a .308 with IR scope. A sick tool. More like a video game.
https://youtu.be/ML6oLuLecQ4

If I am ever stricken with cancer, I am gonna spend the money and charter a Heli Hog hunt in a R44. Friggen expensive, but it would be a hoot.

Maybe ole Uncle Ted could sponsor me.

I cant believe that people who live in hog country dont shoot hogs.

We knocked out 38 in one week with such a system. 21 went to a govt research facility. The rest I just shot and fed to the buzzards. Nothing gets wasted.

I don't mind killing. I don't enjoy it, but meat is not free. Meat is so cheap, I think it is good for people to know that it isn't free. Something had to give up its days on the planet to provide it.

I am not hat in hand about my place in the food chain and dragging that knife. However, I do have empathy with all living creatures, for we share the same struggle.

I'm getting hungry ;-)

I was reading old threads, seems like the 2 comments in bold conflict with each other. Just wondering, that's all.

Back