Pokemon go BS

Oh my, next you'll get a phys ed credit for "walking to class" class.

When will the marketing start to have a P'mon placed in front of your billboard or in your store...maybe in front of your item display? My guess is not long if the creators have any brains at all. Or maybe that was incorporated in it t the beginning when raising money to design it?

Still not sure what its all about.

Anyway, ahh, yes. Respect.

I might as well wade into the waters a bit, I figure I dont respect anyone that doesnt respect other people's views, beliefs, and ideals. Safe space snow flakes that melt if not surrounded by people that think like they do.

Respect your elders is a joke. Someone does not automatically gain respect just by being older. Respect is earned. New ideas are generally resisted by the old. This thread is evidence of that.

Sure, there will always be jackasses in every age group beyond infants and young children, but to make an encompassing statement like the one above, makes me think that Ed has never lived in a culture where the elderly are respected to the extent that it is of immense value within a society. It's unavoidable that sometimes allowances have to be made, but the overall positive effect on a people as a whole simply can't be denied. It can't rightly be explained, all the nuances, you have to see it for yourself with fresh eyes. An added sense of security and self stature amongst the youth and a force that helps to bind families, a source of guidance, are a few of the benefits. Grandparents might well be more important to the young than the immediate parents.

It isn't just the respect, it's what the elderly bring that causes the respect. The way that most think of elderly people is the way that you see them today, often a far cry from what their potential is to both themselves and others. In better circumstances they look different with purpose as well, more like the gent in the photo. Oddly you don't see them as old, it can blow you away. Not understanding new ideas is minor.

Attachments

• FlatheadChief.jpg
    FlatheadChief.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 42
Well, I was worried that Ed had finally taken the plunge and put me on ignore.

Seriously though, I kind of feel bad for you Ed. You cant take a person at his word? Or all people are equally crappy until you get to know them? Is that what you are saying?

Seems kind of lonely. I get the earned respect thing, it just seems like a happier existence if you give the benefit of the doubt first.

I didn't.
I felt like smacking the little fat idiot.

A part of me did as well, you can't expect respect when you carry yourself like that. It was confected outrage, he vented his bottled up anger on some kids/young adults generally minding their own business. I'm not saying its an appropriate place to play games but at the end of the day he set a very poor example of how a MAN should express himself.

Agree that the fellow was somewhat over the top, but in the end, the way to have handled it by the young people would have been to express an apology if it is felt that they didn't show proper respect. They can say their piece if they feel the need to. No big compromise, no need for some sense of loss of self stature by being subservient in that situation. Needing to sometimes respectfully bow to another's demands or expectations is an important fact of life to learn, perhaps in the top five of the most valuable lessons when young on how best to get along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gave Betsy a ride this afternoon.....she has upgraded to the Starbucks in the grocery store. Free coffee and sandwhich. She was thankful of ride back home in the 90 degree heat. She has officially lost her cell phone...lol

Ed..I'm sorry for shit in your past. No one deserves it. Stay strong but be open minded. Respect is easier lost then gained. We all start with a full cup until will spill the respect given . Much harder to fill again.......

To be fair, we did not see what led up to the "confrontation". The older fellow very well could have handled it badly from the start.

Had I been playing Pokeman I would have hunched up and been defensive if someone came over and started yelling. I dont yell at folks and dont tolerate being yelled at.

If he came over and asked us to please show some respect, I would have done so and left. I suspect that kids gave him some attitude right away.

Couple of months ago I caught a couple of high school kids fooling around on my property. Or maybe playing pokeman........whatever.

I was coming home late from a fire call and saw a pickup next to the road...either kids or someone having trouble.

Had they given me any shit I would have run them off, harshly, but they didnt. They apologized, I said no problem, told them to pull off a little farther and park in the gravel pit so no one would see them from the road.

Ed still has a lot to learn.
Do enlighten me. I'm dying to know.

Jim - I feel like slapping the shit out of you when you make jokes about safe spaces and triggers. You do know that those terms were developed for women who've suffered violent sexual assault?
Then the whole stupid mens rights movement started twisting the meaning and using them as mocking terms.
When you do that, you just come across as some kind of stupid young mysogynistic prick. I know you probably think you're being funny, and I'm sure it gets a few laughs from the peanut gallery. I still believe that's not actually what you are, that you're a decent, kind bloke - but it's hard to respect somebody who uses that kind of language.

John, thanks for your words. My life is good. I just give my experience to give background as to why I disagree with corporal punishment of children. That's besides all the psychological research to show how damaging it is.

Ultimately, this thread annoyed me because it a bunch of old farts advocating hitting children for doing little more than playing the modern equivalent of I spy.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

compassion. empathy. self sacrifice. courage.

exactly.....these particular pokie players lacked empathy and compassion for the courage and self sacrifice of the soldiers memorialized there. Granted the vet was also over the top by letting his emotion take control.

What would be the best response given this situation?

Seemed like the biggest jerks were the old farts to me. Each side seemed happy to sling insults, with the old un's quick to anger and violence.

Again. The kids are just playing a game.

Ed, I'm curious now, where did Jim make jokes about safe places and triggers? I wasn't familiar with the term, "triggers", but looking it up, the term has such broad usage in describing the psychology of trauma, it would seem that the word can no longer be isolated to describe something associated with sexual assault. I can't find where the term originated with that usage either, but applied to ptsd and returning soldiers, then it gradually expanded.. You seem pretty adamant about it being prohibitive to use when not being totally serious, but I can't see the cause for such a perspective. It would seem that "triggers" can be a way to connect to something pleasurable as well, a desirable experience. You being a romantic, like how the scent if a fine lady's perfume can bring back the recollection of a memorable evening.

This thread got weird. People were complaining about playing the game not because of it's existence, but because of what is a seeming lack of self control when doing it., i.e. running amok uncultured with their faces incessantly glued to a piece of thin plastic. Suddenly almost everyone that posted in like accord became an old fart, and what's even worse, possibly an old fart in a peanut gallery!

You must feel like slapping the entire left then Ed. It was not I that appropriated "safe spaces" and "triggers".

I am sorry that you want to slap me now, but I did not know the "real" meaning.

There is a whole generation of young people now that need "safe spaces" so they wont be "triggered" by things they dont like or agree with. Not my words, theirs. Its a friggin' epidemic!

Anyway, Jay, yes, I used safe spaces in a sentence earlier.

What's with the snowflake thing?

Are you guys still living in the "suppress all emotions" mind state?

Back