how often do you need to have the groundy let a piece run for your safety?

Excellent way to go about it imo,i do not prefer the blame game either...'specially when I'm the one fgnn up!

We've run into Porty for fast feed, walk around tree for more friction if have to; covering both ends of equation.
Something i've done, do naturally walking thru people on ground too.
Kinda another Miyagi 'no be there' strategy, with calculating everything from center of gravity.
Seeing spine as center of gravity, spin around rope as it passes by,
so center of gravity ends up just moved inches ahead,
shoulder harness down spins around on that spine axis.
Very fast, very low impact of change, because spine/center of gravity only moved inches in light dance.
If you L-earn such a lesson (center of gravity) in own body;
develop a 'body knowledge' and 'feel' for such things i believe.
Then look at a mechanical situation, like you where part of it and can 'feel' how the pulls would go on you etc.
Gymnastics taught me to listen to bod, and control different muscle groups for different effects etc.
Everything is mechanics, and offers those lessons daily
This dance around moving rope or people is a timing thang,
bod just not home at crucial moment where impact could appear.
Eldest has been in/out of Aikido for about 2 decades
(just completing masters in engineering, so always and all ways running stuff by him)
says his sensei teaches to do this dance too/'no be there'...
i'd always have it pre-wired in my head when /if rope comes by, fire this sequence of events..

Handled that well Stephan. Yelling and pissing off the guys on the ground can really bite ya in the ass if they walk off and leave you with 150' of stick to get down

And of course by that time, you have a new, better perspective on things. You aren't dead and you're on terra firma

Talk before execution is fine but wrap judgment is ultimately on the rope man.
Because he's the man running the rope.
Same as driver is responsible for damage even if he is misdirected by guide man. If you stand to be smashed by his potential mistake, you should do something else.

I think we may just have to agree to disagree here.

Backing up a truck the guy watching is responsible. He is "driving" and using the guy in the seat as a proxy. Last year I backed a guy into a mailbox and took the heat for it and I own the place.

When it comes to letting stuff run, it depends on who I'm working with. If I'm subbing I set myself up where no matter what I can't get hurt.

If it is one of my two guys, guys I trust to put my kid on the bus if need be, guys who have keys to my house and me theirs, guys who feed my goats, I'll let stuff go that might make me a grease stain on the trunk if it doesn't go right. They trust me not to kill them with a log, or by saying too few wraps and sucking them into a PW. I trust them to work ropes in a way that won't kill me, especially if I take the personal responsibility to dictate wraps.

You keep being awesome and do what you do, but I only get three days a week to bang out a weeks production so I might be willing to take a few more risk. I've also never been hurt too bad doing tree work. I'm also younger and better looking which probably helps, or maybe it doesn't but I think that needed saying.

Yah I didn't follow the driver spotter thing quite the same as August either. If you have a spotter backing you in. They are responsible if they guide you into something. In that situation, the drivers responsibility is to do what the spotter is telling them. Not have to get out and double check everything themselves because they're responsible. Otherwise why bother with the spotter.

But on the wrap thing, any ground guy/rope man worth their salt doesn't need to be told the number of wraps. That's part of their job.

And Corey yltg. If you're gonna talk smack about how handsome you are. You better have the chops to back it up!

image.jpg

The guys are often more spot on about how many wraps than I am. I think I am overly cautious and don't want thier hands burn or a target hit. But I don't run rope as often as I would like. And essentially my arse should something go wrong.
I am sure most fellas here have got warm hands at one point or another trying to make it right for the climber

I'm also younger and better looking which probably helps, or maybe it doesn't but I think that needed saying.

:lol:

1625414547-Zoolander-Magnum.png

Hands on the The steering wheel and foot on the accelerator make driver responsible for damages.
Haven't you ever doubted your guide and double checked his directions? You could say it was his fault, but it never really feels cut and dried. How about this. . .When you have somebody guiding you with signals as your bar sweeps around to the far corner, house in jeopardy, he's saying there is still 6 inches to go. . .I always have to see for myself.

Back